About Migrant Help:
Migrant Help is a leading charity that has been established for over 50 years and delivers a range of support and advice services to migrants across the UK. Our vision is for a global society that protects vulnerable migrants, treats them with respect and enables them to reach their full potential.
We place a high value on employees in relation to the work that they do and the benefits the organisation offers, with an ethos of being a Great Place to Work. This includes understanding the importance of having a work life balance, offering enhanced family friendly provisions, additional holiday entitlements, Perkbox benefits and a non-contributory pension scheme.
As Chief of Staff, you will have the skill and experience to integrate yourself into an organisation quickly and assess issues that serve as barriers to a team or organisation operating at maximum effectiveness. You must be a strong relationship manager and be well connected with those reporting into the CEO and others across the organisation to influence outcomes. This cross-functional perspective not only helps garner support for the leadership team, but also fosters long-term partnerships that are critical to organisational success.
The role will be based at Migrant Help’s head office in Dover, Kent, with some opportunity for mixed home working. Travel across the UK will be required at times along with occasional need to work outside of office hours.
Purpose of the job:
To provide support to the CEO and coordination of the senior team, as a member of senior leadership. Serving as the “right-hand wo/man” to the CEO, assisting and advising on a broad range of issues. Overseeing large, often cross-functional organisation-wide projects or initiatives.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead for the organisation on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, championing our anti-racism agenda, engaging with staff and increasing awareness, working with colleagues to challenge ourselves
• Proactively advising SMT on key issues, escalating as necessary
• Keep a pulse on the business and help connect the dots with others in the team
• Assemble dashboards and analysis to track company-wide goals and progress, including Financial data, KPI and people and user metrics
• Lead on special projects and task and finish groups to tackle priority projects
• Lead on Information Governance on behalf of the senior team
• Play a key role in the Critical Incident team, acting as a coordinator of activities and ensuring important documentation is collected and managed throughout
• Plan and coordinate weekly, monthly and quarterly planning processes as required
• Lead on updating and managing the Risk Register and Risk Management Policy, to ensure mitigating actions are implemented and changes reflected by appropriate managers
• Monitoring information flow: Sometimes acting as a gatekeeper, ensuring a CEO’s involvement in a project or decision-making process at the right moment
• Ensure clear action items are captured, communicated and delivered in time with the relevant stakeholders
• Develop, implement, and manage internal processes to improve the overall workings of the charity when issues are cross functional
• Meeting preparation and follow up: reviewing upcoming meetings for the week to ensure the CEO has all of the information needed to be as productive as possible
• Keep on top of sector trends by reading literature and communicate out to relevant team members
• Responsible for the quality of papers and agendas to stimulate discussion and drive good quality decisions
• Line management of the Executive Assistant to the CEO/CoS
• Develop and lead on the use of tools such as Slack or Teams to support the senior team in managing prioritisation of work, increasing visibility of tasks and priorities to improve the effectiveness of the senior team
• Working with each of the directors of services, to ensure that monthly meetings are held, to review minutes and ensure that important issues are escalated to senior team discussions
• Support in the recruitment approval process, owning and updating the agreed establishment chart and circulating forms through the process
Skills & Knowledge:
• At least 3 years of work experience in consulting, a scale-up, or a fast-paced environment
• At least a bachelor’s degree in business, the social sciences, or relevant area; an MBA would be considered an advantage
• Experience in leading teams
• A track-record of successful project management
• A deep desire to improve inclusion, a passion for equality and a genuine appreciation of diversity
• Exceptional organisational and strategic communication skills to create and maintain cross-departmental relationships to enable leadership success
• The ability to work very independently, and to make decisions despite high levels of uncertainty and ambiguity
• Previous experience in conducting financial analysis, creating dashboards, and using quantitative data and metrics to make decisions
• Good understanding of GDPR and data protection
• High levels of discretion and strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills
• Previous charity experience and high-growth phase company experience desirable
• Effective, versatile and action-oriented
• Willing to engage on high-level strategic discussions one day and to assist with diary management the next
Migrant Help is committed to safeguarding those we provide a service to, applicants will have to undergo strict vetting procedures throughout different stages of the recruitment process.
- This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check.
- This post is subject to a Counter Terrorism Check (CTC).
Therefore the applicant must:
- Hold a valid, full current 10 year British passport; full EU passport or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
- Provide full UK address history for the last five years.
See the Job Description for full person specification.
Closing Date: 6 December 2020
Vacancy may close early depending on applicant numbers
As part of your role, it is important you operate within Migrant Help’s values:
Protection, Diversity, Equality, Partnership, Innovation and Excellence.
Migrant Help is proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.