Migrant Help is a leading charity that has been established for over 50 years and delivers a range of support and advice services to migrants across the UK. Our vision is for a global society that protects vulnerable migrants, treats them with respect and enables them to reach their full potential.
We are recruiting for a permanent creative and organised Client Adviser to join our team in Cardiff. The focus of this role is to work as part of the Asylum Services team providing advice, guidance, and assistance to complete support applications and briefing to eligible asylum seekers.
- Provide advice and support to asylum seekers, within the specification of the Grant Agreement and Contract with the Home Office
- Provide a support service to asylum seekers to complete asylum support application forms (ASF) for support under Section 98, Section 95 and Section4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Ensure that all applicants are aware of eligibility criteria and their obligations to provide supporting evidence within required timescales
- Provide outreach for vulnerable clients and those with additional support needs, by appointment, at designated locations, as required by management
- Provide telephone advice as may be required and support the telephone advice line by assisting clients to complete applications by telephone and by appointment
- Provide guidance on immigration related matters advice within the scope of the relevant Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) accreditation level
- Act as a contact with the Home Office, Social Services, Healthcare Professionals and other relevant agencies for applicants with additional support needs.
- Ensure accurate records are kept
- Keep up to date with legislation and the impact it may have on service users
Your experience must include:
- Good clear written and spoken English.
- Good IT skills in word processing, spreadsheets and email or the willingness to acquire them.
- Good inter-personal skills and the ability to relate to a wide range of people.
- Excellent active listening skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Ability to complete forms and records accurately.
- Skills in liaison and negotiation with other agencies on behalf of clients.
- Ability to absorb complex written information and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work empathically with people facing transition and uncertainty.
- Ability to explain complicated information to clients including the use of an interpreter
- Presentation skills with the ability to make briefing sessions interactive
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to change
- Excellent self-organisation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative within an agreed framework
- A second language would be desirable
- This post requires OISC Level 1 competence or the willingness to get this within 6 months
- This post is subject to a DBS check
- This post is subject to a Counter Terrorism check
- This post may require travel
Therefore the applicant must;
- hold a valid, full current 10-year British passport; full EU passport or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
- provide full UK address history for the last five years
Please see Job Description for full Person Specification
1. Relevant CV
2. Detailed personal statement showing how you meet the specific requirements, skills and experience as outlined in the job description and person specification, with special attention to the added value you could bring.
Successful Internal applicants will move to Migrant help 2018 Terms and Conditions if they are not already.
Closing Date: 6 March 2020
As part of your role, it is important you operate within Migrant Help’s values:
Protection, Diversity, Equality, Partnership, Innovation and Excellence.
Migrant Help is proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.