Migrants Organise is a platform where migrants and refugees organise for power, dignity and justice. We work across the UK to bring community organisations, individuals, and institutions together on a common platform to act with, not for, migrants and refugees.
We are looking for Migrant Organisers to help deliver the growth of a sustainable community organising alliance of migrants and refugees in one particular region of the country, as part of our UK-wide organising strategy.
There are currently four posts available, to cover work in 1) the Midlands, 2) East and South-East of England, 3) London and 4) North West of England.
How do we work?
- We speak out. We make our voices heard, and we take a stand on the issues that affect us. We talk about the issues that matter to refugees and migrants. We tell our stories, and we create opportunities for our voice to be heard.
- We connect people. We act relationally, to help people belong. People need connections to belong and thrive with dignity. We see strength and resilience in our individual identities and experiences as people. We connect people with resources.
- We grow power. We recognise and use power to make change. We provide a platform for people to be powerful and develop skills, leadership, confidence and connections.
- We build common ground. We bring diverse people together around shared issues, on a shared platform. We create spaces for people to find common ground and shared perspectives for action.
What do we do?
- We organise: we work with communities to act for change. We develop leaders to understand their power, their issues, and how to build actions for change.
- We mobilise: we bring people to strategic actions and campaigns. We urge and support people to take action on the issues affecting migrants and refugees.
- We mentor: we support and advise people, and connect people with others who can provide support and advice on the journey to integration. We connect people with others who can share knowledge, experience or friendship.
- We train: we develop people’s skills, confidence, experience and capacity to act. We use workshops, training sessions, action and experience to help people to develop.
- We celebrate: we find and create platforms to recognise people. We celebrate migrants and refugees and their contributions.
We know that immigration is a complex issue, and that xenophobia and negative discourse can’t be changed overnight, or by one person. That’s why we’re building a movement of migrants and refugees whose integration and contribution to their communities is a positive story that needs to be heard. We want to act as a platform for migrants and refugees to own their stories with dignity and not be reduced to one-dimensional experiences or suffering.
Our Migrant Organisers will be working as part of a team of trained, dynamic community organisers around the UK, who are growing the power of migrants and refugees to act for justice, dignity and positive social change.
The main aims of the post are to work within Migrants Organise’s Migrant Community Organising model to:
1. grow the capacity of migrant and refugee communities to organise for power, dignity and justice.
2. support migrant and refugee movement builders in the development of effective local, regional and national social justice campaigns and actions.
3. co-ordinate migrant and refugee community movement builders’ contribution to and participation in Migrants Organise’s national strategy, in order to grow an organised migrant and refugee movement across the UK.
We are looking for exceptional candidates, self-starters with a passion for bringing tangible change to communities and an understanding of what motivates people to act. You will join a small but passionate team of people. You will play an integral part of a team where everyone takes an energetic, flexible and collaborative approach to their work, and are committed to improving lives of migrants and refugees.
There are currently four part-time posts available, to cover work in 1) the Midlands, 2) East and South-East of England, 3) London and 4) North West of England.
When making your application, please specify if you are applying for a particular role and, if so, your connection or knowledge of that region.
Migrants Organise is an equal opportunities employer. We strongly encourage people with the personal experience of migration to apply for this post. If you would like to discuss further or would like to talk through the role before applying, please contact us directly (contatc details on the website).
The client is happy to conduct telephone interviews for overseas candidates.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.