Post: NCS Team Leader
Based at: Millwall Community Trust, Millwall Lions Centre, Bolina Road, SE16 3LN
The Team Leader is a key role in the delivery of National Citizen Service (NCS) programme. It is designed to support young people to participate in activities which will develop their sense of responsibility and encourage them to be active in their local communities. This is a rewarding and challenging role which will require working long hours and participation in a night shift rota during the residential phases of the NCS programme. The Team Leader’s role is to inspire and lead a team of 15-17-year old participants through the NCS summer programme. This role is suitable for a mentor who can act as a strong role model and push each young person in the team to reach their full potential and deliver a wide variety of engaging sessions.
£1600 for 20 day programme OR £1200 for 15 day programme (Exclusive of 2 days mandatory training)
Flexibility is required from the post-holder to work effectively in a changing environment. Any other tasks that may be requested will be at the same level of responsibility and terms and conditions of employment. Night staff ROTA will also be in effect during residential phases.
• Lead a team of up to 16 participants through the NCS programme, maintaining high levels of enthusiasm and engagement throughout. Ensure that the support, pastoral and safety needs of young people are met whilst also being the disciplinarian of the team
• Manage an Assistant Team Leader and work collaboratively to coordinate workloads and to ensure the NCS code of conduct is upheld throughout the programme
• Deliver assigned curriculum including daily reflection sessions and follow lesson plans provided in line with the programme curriculum and NCS ethos
• Ensure all policies and procedures are followed and tasks are completed accurately throughout the programme. Such tasks could include: completing young people registers, incident and safeguarding reporting, and risk assessments
• Positively engage with all aspects of the programme including the outdoor activity first phase, residential second phase and the community-focussed third phase, adopting an inclusive approach to all aspects of the programme
• Work with the Assistant Team Leader to adhere to deadlines, procedures and timetables to ensure that all paperwork is completed correctly and handed in on time
• Work with all delivery partners including outdoor instructors and colleagues to support and ensure the enjoyment and achievement of all participants
• Coordinate, support and encourage your team through the planning, implementation and evaluation of an impactful social action project that directly benefits people living in their local community
• Experience of building a positive rapport with young people from a variety of cultural, economic and social backgrounds
• Ability to inspire and motivate teams and individuals to help them achieve their potential
• Excellent teamwork and ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and also the ability to line manage 1 member of staff
• Ability to be proactive and adaptable with the skills to think on your feet
• Well organised with a responsible attitude to paperwork and record-keeping
• Experience of working in a demanding environment, and the ability to remain calm in difficult situations
• Strikingly positive and motivated attitude, with a passion for building stronger communities and seeing change in society
• Ability to lead and follow the curriculum and facilitate sessions for up to 16 young people and make them as engaging and interactive as possible.
About the NCS Programme
We are a local delivery partner for the National Citizen Service (NCS), a life-changing experience for 15-17-year old’s. The scheme is available to young people from all backgrounds to take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and give something back to their communities. By taking part they learn new skills and have a great experience they can put on their CVs or college applications.
They achieve this by completing three phases:
- Be Epic Phase 1: Up to 3 socially mixed teams of young people bond through a week of challenging outdoor activities and engaging evening sessions . Residential
- Live Life Phase 2: Teams return to their local area and learn new skills such as public speaking, CV and interview skills, Money management, Career development. Residential
- Do Good Phase 3: Teams work to design and deliver a campaign and social action projects that will bring the local community together. Non-residential
Accommodation and Training
- All meals and accommodation are provided during the NCS Phase 1 & 2, generally in an outdoor activity center.
- Phase 3 will be non-residential on a 9-5 basis and not catered.
- 2 day training must be completed prior to being allowed to work on a wave which will include first aid training as you will be the designated first aider for your team
Please Apply Via our website and return a completed application form and CV
Assesment day will be held on - 25/04/2020