Are you a dynamic and innovative individual with a strong background in finance, looking for your next challenge? Do you have commitment and a flair for hands on accounting and wish to work for an ambitious local charity? This could be the role for you.
Mind in Haringey (MiH) is one of the 130 Local Minds affiliated to National Mind working to help anyone with mental health issues in Haringey. We have a turnover of about £650,000 per annum and operate with a small surplus. We are looking for a Finance Manager to handle all aspects of our finance and financial management. Please note that we do not have a book keeper or finance assistant so you would be responsible for all finance issues from book keeping to producing management accounts and the budget.
MiH generates income from: statutory funding bids and grants with trusts and foundations; income earning services; fundraising events; and donations. Our income is spent on a range of mental health services including counselling, advocacy, wellbeing workshops, suicide prevention, mental health training and bereavement counselling. The Trustees and the executive staff are committed to expanding our operations.
Our Treasurer is one of twelve dedicated and energetic Trustees. You would be joining a staff team of four full time and twelve part time employees under a committed and energetic Chief Executive.
MiH needs a self-starting proactive individual who is willing to be hands-on and fully committed to the role, and preferably, but not essentially, from a third sector background.
- To ensure the finances of MIH are controlled and managed efficiently meeting all legal requirements and standards of good practice in the charity sector
- To ensure that all MIH financial transactions are up to date and properly recorded ensuring full financial records are maintained manually and using appropriate accounting software, and in a form required for the preparation of management and statutory accounts. MiH currently uses Quickbooks
- To manage and forecast cash flow and manage banking facilities and reconciliations
- To prepare full monthly management accounts including performance to date and forecasts for the financial year together with a commentary.
- To prepare and present to Trustees an annual budget, following discussion with the Chief Executive and the Treasurer; and contribute to the three year Business Plan
- To prepare the annual accounts in accordance with statutory and Charities Acts requirements on agreed timetable, and ensure an efficient annual audit
- To attend and prepare reports for the Trustees Finance and Audit Committee which meets every three months and provide reports for the monthly meetings of the Trustees Board
- To work on a daily basis with the Chief Executive and on a regular basis with the Trustee Treasurer
- To produce all other financial information required by the organisation. This will include managing the financial aspects of the large bids and helping with the costings for new services and ensuring reports provided to external funders, staff and clients meet contractual and legal requirements
- To oversee cheque payments and the on line donation systems and process invoices
- To maintain the fixed assets register and oversee procurement and insurance
- To assist with the preparation of bids for funding and any project statements required by funding bodies. To ensure clients and service managers are provided with information on service budgets and non payment of invoices for services
- To ensure the prompt collection of debts and manage Gift Aid
- To oversee the payroll and the production of salary, tax and pension payments and ensure that payments are accurate and appropriately authorised, and recorded
- To oversee with the Treasurer, MIH’s risk register and financial procedures
- To advise the Trustee Treasurer on all aspects of MIH’s financial position. To provide authoritative and good quality advice to the Chief Executive, the Chairman, Treasurer of the Trustees, the Trustees and staff of MIH on all financial matters
- To keep informed on current initiatives in the finance and charity sector
- To carry out any other duties in line with the role as required by the CEO and the Treasurer.
- Proven ability to cope with the financial management of a growing organisation
- Experience of managing relationships with professional advisers or contractors
- Proven ability to work in a team across the organisation
- Interpersonal and communication skills to present complex issues lucidly to Trustees and other staff, in order to achieve smooth and well-informed decision-making
- Excellent analytical skills and success in working accurately to tight deadlines
- Fully computer literate with a good working knowledge of MS Office and computerised accounting systems such as Quickbooks
- Reliability and integrity, together with an enthusiastic and positive attitude
Qualifications and background
- An appropriate recognised accountancy qualification, with substantial practical experience of accountancy and financial management systems, ideally in the 3rd sector.
Terms and conditions
- Salary - Up to £36,000 FTE per year, pro rata 3 day week, depending on experience
- Annual salary reviews and performance appraisals
- Hours of Work - a working week of 21 hours (3 days) but can be flexible hours in agreement with the CEO. There is no paid overtime.
- Holidays - Holidays are 28 days per year (pro rata) plus UK bank holidays.
- Length of Contract - This is a permanent position.
- Probationary Period and Notice Period - There is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
- Location - MiH’s office in Station House, 73c Stapleton Hall Road, London N4 3EQ
- Additional benefits - After the probationary period, the employee can join our pension scheme
- Recruitment Process - Please apply by sending a CV (maximum length 2 pages) and covering letter (maximum 2 pages) to the CEO, Mind in Haringey at the above address.
- Your covering letter should show how you meet the requirements of the role and why you want the job
- The application deadline is 5pm on Friday 27th March 2020
- First interviews will be held later in the week beginning 6th April with second interviews (if necessary) a week later
- All candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK. We will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.
MIH is an equal opportunities employer and will make any necessary adaptations for a disabled employee