Modern Art Oxford’s Finance Manager manages the day-to-day administration of the organisation's finances and is the lead for financial reporting. The Finance Manager works with the Head of Finance & Business Strategy to provide comprehensive financial support to the organisation including commercial operations. Working closely with all members of the team, the Finance Manager is responsible for maintaining all financial records and systems, communicating effectively at all levels and demonstrating excellent attention to detail and the highest professional standards.
- To oversee and carry out all financial, accounting and payroll processes for Modern Art Oxford and be a first point of contact for queries.
- To work pro-actively alongside the Head of Finance & Business Strategy to produce monthly management accounts, budget-holder and other financial reports and to ensure that income and expenditure are managed within agreed budgets.
- To ensure that the financial affairs of the charity are managed effectively and that financial controls are adhered to at all times.
- To manage the Finance Assistant.
- Oversee the operation of the Sage purchase ledger by the Finance Assistant, keep unpaid balances under review and obtain refunds of credits where appropriate.
- Oversee the operation of the Sage sales ledger by the Finance Assistant, reviewing the preparation of invoices and ensuring VAT is applied where required, and chase overdue balances to maximise cashflow.
- Liaise with Retail Manager on cashiering and ticket reconciliations.
- Maintain the Sage nominal ledger, ensuring that both nominal and department codes are used correctly, setting up new codes and posting journals.
- Oversee the processing of monthly business credit card bills, ensuring expenditure is correctly allocated.
- Manage and completely reconcile monthly the organisation's bank accounts, Sage bank control accounts and produce current account analysis for the review of Head of Finance & Business Strategy.
- Carry out financial housekeeping as necessary to ensure that the information on Sage is accurate and up-to-date.
- Keep the charity's fixed asset register up-to-date and prepare monthly depreciation journals.
- Manage the Contemporary Visual Arts Network South East (CVAN SE) accounts.
- Support the Head of Finance & Business Strategy in preparing the annual statutory accounts, providing schedules, documentation and other information as requested in advance of the annual audit, and liaising directly with the auditors during the audit
- Prepare and submit quarterly VAT returns, reviewing underlying data to ensure information sent to HMRC is accurate.
- Liaise with the Development department on Gift Aid claims and submit to HMRC.
- Support the Head of Finance & Business Strategy in the preparation of the annual Museums and Galleries Exhibition Tax Relief claim.
- Manage all aspects of monthly in-house Sage payroll including calculations and payments for staff on contracts and paid by timesheets, pensions, PAYE/NIC, other payroll deductions, Sage journals and reconciliations.
- Ensure that HMRC receive all monthly and annual submission and payments before deadlines.
- Produce annual P60s for all employees and prepare P45 for outgoing employees.
Management & System Accounting
- Provide support to create and implement new and changes to existing financial systems, ensuring appropriate financial controls and looking for cost and resource savings.
- Prepare the initial draft of the monthly management accounts and cashflow forecast for the Head of Finance & Business Strategy.
- Provide budget-holders with all information necessary for them to be able to effectively manage their budgets, including quarterly Sage transaction reports, responding to ad hoc queries and the appropriate level of business partnering to achieve reconciliation with budget-holders’ own budget monitoring sheets.
- Provide support to the Head of Finance & Business Strategy in the preparation of the annual budget and quarterly re-forecasts.
- Create financial models and provide ad hoc financial reports for the Head of Finance & Business Strategy and budget-holders which improve decision-making.
- Support Development with grant applications and financial reports.
- Working with Retail/E-commerce/Art Sales/Hires/Events/Café Managers to produce financial/KPI reports for commercial activities, including weekly flash reports, and with budget-holders to produce capital/project/exhibition reports.
- Support the Head of Finance & Business Strategy in managing the bank deposits of Modern Art Oxford's endowments and reserves.
- Ensure that all financial systems are kept up-to-date including Sage 50.
- Maintain financial control procedures and ensure that these procedures are adhered to by all staff including till floats, signing authorities, expenses, etc.
- Contribute to the completion of statutory and public funding returns to the Charity Commission, Arts Council England, etc.
- Provide cover for the Finance Assistant and deputise for the Head of Finance & Business Strategy e.g. attendance at meetings as required.
- Fulfill other duties reasonably requested by the Head of Finance & Business Strategy.
- Work closely with MAO team, providing financial information and assistance as required
- Very occasionally attend evening and weekend events.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.