- You will have: recognised substantive expertise as a leader in the field of Modern Slavery, whether as an academic or a practitioner; a strong track record of leadership of applied research programmes or their practitioner equivalent in a policy setting; experience of delivering complex and large scale projects involving multiple stakeholders; and a strong appetite for working closely with the Director and the partners to establish a distinctive and independent research agenda for the Centre which complements and significantly adds to existing research agendas. It is desirable, but not essential, that, in addition to your expertise in Modern Slavery, you will have some relevant knowledge and experience in the field of human rights.
The Modern Slavery PEC is committed to being inclusive and diverse and particularly encourages applications from women, people with disabilities, BAME applicants, LGBT+ applicants and other minorities. The Centre is committed to being a values based organisation and, in the spirit of our values, we commit to proactively challenge bias and offer a fair and equitable recruitment process for all applicants.
- The main responsibilities of the role are:
Co-creation of Research Agenda
- To lead an inclusive consultation about the research priorities of the Modern Slavery PEC to inform the Centre’s research agenda and build links with the Modern Slavery research community
- To co-create, with the Modern Slavery PEC’s partners, an ambitious, distinctive and independent research agenda for the Centre that clearly complements existing research agendas and is deliverable over the lifetime of the grant
- To work with AHRC to develop the commissioning process for the Centre’s research
Delivery of Research Agenda
- To work with the Senior Management Board to implement the Modern Slavery PEC’s research agenda by developing, co-ordinating and overseeing a coherent programme of high-impact research including a publications and dissemination strategy
- To provide intellectual leadership to the delivery of the Modern Slavery PEC’s research agenda and ensure its coherence across the range of commissioned projects
- To lead on shaping the Modern Slavery PEC’s research calls
- To work with the Operations Director and AHRC on research commissioning activities
- To ensure that appropriate research outputs and outcomes are identified, in light of the aims of the research agenda
- To be a member of the Centre’s Senior Management Board, alongside the Director.
- To work with the Operations Director to ensure that the Modern Slavery PEC’s impact framework includes indicators to monitor research quality and impact, and to propose solutions where shortcomings are identified
- To lead on the monitoring and reporting (both internal and external) of performance against the Modern Slavery PEC’s research agenda, including performance against KPIs, for the Senior Management Board and Advisory Group.
Key working relationships
Director of Policy Impact
Senior Management Board
A proven track record as a recognised leading expert in the field of Modern Slavery, as an academic or practitioner
Experience of leadership roles in the delivery of applied research programmes or their practitioner equivalent in a policy setting
Experience of managing and delivering large scale applied research projects or their practitioner equivalent involving multiple stakeholders
Knowledge or an understanding of bridging the divide between academic research and the policy and evidence world
Strategic leadership and management experience
Knowledge and understanding of the relevant international, regional and national human rights frameworks would be an advantage
Leadership and Management
A proven ability to provide clear research leadership and direction to teams of researchers or their equivalent
Teamwork and Collaboration
An ability and willingness to work collaboratively and collegially with colleagues
Communicates in a compelling and influential way to a diverse range of audiences, internal and external, adapting the style and message accordingly
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.