Established in 1876, a Christian Charity, we are a federation of independent Mothers’ Unions’ with four million members, in 84 countries, all of whom are affiliated to our UK based Charity. In 2026, we will celebrate our 150th anniversary. In 2018, we collectively supported almost one million people giving them the skills and knowledge to transform their lives. Within this, centrally raised funds from members and donors have enabled support for projects benefitting 100,000 people annually.
This is a critical role that offers the chance to help shape and drive Mothers’ Union’s voice across a range of digital, social and print channels. Working closely with colleagues and members across the UK and at times around the world you will be confident in researching and creating brilliant content that fully brings the impact of our work to life.
Whilst you will be the primary web editor and responsible for SEO and Analytics you will understand digital and print content strategies. You will be similarly confident in producing e-newsletters and using social media to manage campaigns whilst measuring reach and effectiveness. You will also bring excellent video production and editing skills.
You will need to be able to forge strong working relationships within the Fundraising and Communications team, across the organisation and with members. You will have a creative approach and self-starting ability to be creative with limited resources, whilst regularly evaluating your own performance to build on strengths and identify areas to improve.
- Manage the website including writing content, regular updates to content and functionality, ensuring search engine marketing is optimised to achieve full potential.
- Collate and disseminate a monthly national newsletter, encouraging contributions from staff and other key stakeholders.
- Manage the social media presence of Mothers’ Union, with the aim of reaching an increasingly broad audience and engaging members and stakeholders through social media.
- Develop and manage the Charity’s social media content calendar.
- Draft press releases for all of the Charity’s activities
- Support the Communications and Campaigns Manager to disseminate press releases and manage media requests.
- Develop printed media to promote campaigns, training events and workshops.
- Measuring and reporting on the performance of all digital marketing campaigns.
- Undertake basic video production and interactive presentations, which may include working with members, staff and external stakeholders.
- Proactively approach members and beneficiary's to collect case studies on the impact of our work, use our internal monitoring systems to identify leads and build a database of case studies that can be used throughout the year.
Skills and Experience
- Managing engaging websites, with a working knowledge of Drupal to effectively manage developers for basic changes and good working knowledge of SEO principles;
- Growing engaged, opted-in audiences on social media channels (especially Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills and an ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of people.
- Good data analysis skills, with the ability to interpret data and statistics to develop stories and content.
- Computer literate, especially in the use of Microsoft. Technical design skills, from the design features in Word and PowerPoint through to Photoshop, video-editing and design programmes.
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to quickly build, competency in Dotdigital and social media management tools.
- An eye for good design and experience developing and applying a strong brand across a range of channels.
- Experience or knowledge of paid-for digital and social media campaigns.
- Strong belief and enthusiasm for the approach Mother Union has to social justice around the world.
- Exceptional relationship building skills, with the ability to build strong relationships internally and externally.
- A creative approach and self-starting ability to create effective solutions with limited resources.
- Methodical, organised and able to work with attention to detail.
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload in a small but busy team.
- A team player, who is willing to deliver practically on the ground and be hands-on.
- Regularly evaluates own performance to build on strengths and identify areas to improve.
Education or Qualifications
Educated to degree level/higher or with relevant demonstrable professional experience in communications and digital marketing.
- The responsibilities in this post may be adapted or changed in line with the needs of Mothers’ Union. Other duties may be developed as a result.
- The responsibilities in this post will require the post holder to work within a team and cross functionally with other teams to achieve the objectives.
- Willingness to work very occasionally at the weekend/overnight stays away from home.
This role is primarily based at our head office in Central London. Mothers’ Union is currently operating a hybrid working pattern where staff are required to work a minimum two days from office. However, there will be occasions where staff will need to work from office for more than the 2 day minimum due to operational requirements.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply by sending your CV and a Cover Letter via Charity Jobs. The Cover Letter should clearly outline how your skills match the main responsibilities of the role.
The closing date for applications is 10 December 2021. Due to the number of applications we receive, we may not be able to individually respond to each applicant. If we do not get in touch with you within 4 weeks from the application deadline, then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for this position.
Mothers’ Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.