Mothers’ Union is a Christian membership organisation with 4 million members in 83 countries and our members have been empowering communities to combat poverty, speak up for social justice and improve wellbeing of those around them for more than 140 years. Family and community are at the heart of all we do, ensuring any change is relevant and lasting. We are proud that through our 4 million members acting as volunteers we are able to understand and support in the region of 1 million people each year, giving them the skills and knowledge to transform their own lives for the better. Our Christian values further underpin this commitment to working towards a world that ensures everyone is able to live life in all its fullness and our inclusive approach ensures we work with people of all faiths and none.
Background to the Role:
Mothers’ Union has run a retail business through its MU Enterprise subsidiary for many years. It sell goods through a network of member-representatives in each of the regions (or Dioceses) where it operates throughout Britain and Ireland. It also runs a mail order catalogue which comes out twice a year, and more recently has started to develop sales online, through a dedicated website. MU is seeking to identify credible ways to generate new net revenue through its retail operation for the Charity with a particular focus on increasing sales outside the existing membership and growing our online presence.
The exciting challenges for the new post holder, whilst continuing to support the existing customer base, sustain existing sales and embedding the relationship with the outsourced fulfilment house will be:
- To assess our 3 channels for efficiency and effectiveness.
- To review the product range.
- To understand the current customer base – and the potential, with the right offering, for MU to reach out to a broader base.
- To assess the investment required for further growth, and work with management to develop and implement a credible plan for growth.
To perform a rigorous analysis of all aspects of the current operation, and develop and implement a business plan which clearly shows the ROI in the short and medium term of each aspect and includes clear measures for tracking performance, with a range and audience mix in line with MU Charity values and aspirations.
- To oversee and ensure the online shop is updated regularly, creating work plans, advertising and implementing marketing strategies effectively to generate revenue.
- To line manage retail team and external fulfillment; ensuring that operations are running smoothly and with maximum efficiency.
- To generate back office product and sales and Google Analytic reports to support and drive traffic
Stock and Sourcing
- To source product or partners.
- To be responsible for all sourcing, safety and due diligence measures for merchandise and printed material.
- Develop ideas, source suppliers and negotiate prices for Mothers’ Union dated product ranges.
- Source, manage and negotiate seasonal and everyday greeting card ranges.
- To manage the flow of stock, provide mark down and write off suggestions.
- To arrange and oversee annual stock take at our external fulfillment provider’s warehouse.
Reporting and Finance
- Generate and share income, sales and product reports through the online shop back office, internal accounting systems and with external fulfilment providers.
- To analyse sales on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- To monitor expenditure, stock holding value and MU rep accounts on a quarterly basis.
- To develop retail business plans, budgets, quarterly reports (presented at Board level). Ensuring objectives are adhered to and targets achieved.
- To plan, coordinate promotional materials including product flyers, mini product e-catalogues, seasonal mail order catalogues, online shop advertising and social media posts, ensuring these are compatible with wider MU communications.
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing an online retail operation.
- Experience of working in a team at management level.
- Experience of managing an external fulfillment provider.
- Experience in marketing and promoting products to a high level of return.
- Experience of sourcing and buying goods for sale.
- Experience of internal accounting packages.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to create social media and online shop work plans and implement strategies.
- Proficient working knowledge of Facebook, twitter and other social media sites and how to use them to advertise products, drive sales and promote the charity and its retail site.
- Ability to apply own experience to evaluating the current MU offering and proposing a future approach
- Advanced understanding and experience of the Shopify platform
- Proficient in MS Office, in particular Excel, Word, Outlook.
- A proven track record working in an online sales/retail environment.
- Evidence of meeting and or exceeding sales targets.
- Ability to motivate staff, improve sales targets, and customer spend.
- Ability to coordinate a high level of promotional and product design.
- Educated to degree level.
- GCSE or equivalent passes in English Language and Mathematics.
- Ability to work largely self-directed and use initiative.
- Excellent organisational skills – proven ability to effectively prioritize workloads and meet deadlines.
- Ability to nurture relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable with a positive attitude – able to see solutions to problems.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the core values of the Mothers' Union and comfortable to work in a Christian environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - ability to communicate efficiently, confidently and sensitively to a wide range of people both verbally & written.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience in Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience in designing.
This role is primarily based at our head office in Central London. However, due to the current restrictions on movement, home working option is temporarily made available.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your CV and a Cover Letter. The Cover Letter should clearly outline how your skills match the main responsibilities of the role.
The closing date for applications is 9th December 2020. Due to the number of applications we receive, we may not be able to individually respond to each applicant. If we do not get in touch with you within 4 weeks from the application deadline, then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for this position.
Mothers’ Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.