Please enter your email address to proceed with the application.
We recognised your email address. Sign in to prefill your application.
Step 1 out of 4
Your CV has been uploaded successfully.
Step 1 out of 4
It's time to upload your CV:
Step 2 out of 4
Add a cover letter to maximise your chances of getting this job.
Step 4 out of 4
Whoop! Your application is ready to be submitted.
Step 3 out of 4
Almost done! Please enter your details.
Want to tailor your application?
Go through the usual application process to upload a new CV and cover letter.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
Why work for Mowgli Mentoring?
Mowgli Mentoring is a small yet growing not-for-profit organisation driving inclusive economic and social change across the Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa. Mowgli was established in 2008, recognising the need in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to stimulate entrepreneurship, change mindsets, strengthen leadership and generate prosperity. In 2017 Mowgli started to expand its work into Sub-Saharan Africa. Our award-winning methodology provides a supportive framework which empowers entrepreneurs, corporate employees, women and youth to unlock their potential and seize new opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Over the past decade Mowgli has worked with philanthropists, and local and international governmental and private sector partners such as FCO/DFID, European Union, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the World Bank to deliver mentoring programs between GBP50,000 and GBP500,000 in size across the Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa as well as the UK.
Our focus is on training volunteer professionals as quality 360-degree mentors who are able to empower the personal and professional growth of others). matching them with mentees and providing them with a supportive framework for them to co-develop solid foundations for their mentoring relationships. We have trained more than a thousand mentors who have empowered growth minded individuals to create and retain jobs, increase personal and business income and strengthen their leadership, producing a significant economic and social return on investment.
Finance and Administration Manager
Location: Bristol, UK
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Salary range: 30,000 - 38,000 GBP (pro rata)
- 22 days of annual leave (pro rata) + public holidays
- Employer pension contribution
- Private health insurance
Employment type: Part-time – 2.5-3 days per week
- ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA qualified – part-qualified and qualified by experience will be considered
- At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role in a start-up, SME or small yet growing charity or business
- Extensive experience of managing upwards and downwards, supporting and motivating colleagues and managing for performance
- Broad knowledge and experience of designing, implementing and managing rigorous, efficient and effective financial and management information systems within a small organisation
- Experience of payroll, tax/VAT, and currency exchange
- Strong IT skills across all standard packages, as well as with relevant specialist accounting software, i.e. Xero (and/ or QuickBooks, Sage)
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with colleagues across geographies
- Commitment to working collaboratively and supportively with other team members, building the financial management/ administration capabilities of relevant staff
- Experience of grant management and reporting with large bilateral and multilateral funds such as the European Union, UN Women and DfID
● Work closely with the Head of Operations to structure and organise the financial systems, policies and procedures of Mowgli Mentoring
● Manage organisational and project budgets and finances, and deliver reliable and up-to-date reports to Mowgli management, the board, key stakeholders and funders
● Ensure that all financial, HR, project utilization related records and reports correctly reflect international programmes and donor contracts and requirements
● Ensure compliance with internal and external policies and procedures as well as donor contracts and regulations, developing new/ updated processes where required
● Promote and oversee good management of restricted and unrestricted funds and programmes and institutional donor contracts
● Ensure that all human resource procedures, processes and best practice are adhered to for all Mowgli staff and consultants
● Support fundraising efforts by preparing financials for grant proposals and reports, developing project cash flow forecasts and future financial projections, identifying funding gaps and conducting ongoing and post project financial analysis
● Prepare and track financial KPIs for the organisation and department, develop annual organisational budgets and financial plans, quarterly financial reports for the board and monthly reports for management
● Oversee the structuring of all financial accounting aspects of the finance and budget management system at an organisational level
● Generate management accounts for all cost centres and produce financial management information for CEO and heads of department
● Responsible for the treasury management function which includes managing the accounting software, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, HMRC transactions, payroll, pension, foreign exchange transactions and forecasts
● Work with the operations team to ensure accurate delivery of financial information and the monitoring and audit of project budgets, including the development of lessons learnt for fundraising purposes
● Prepare and track financial KPIs for the organisation and department areas, develop annual organisational budgets and financial plans/ forecasts, quarterly financial reports for the board and monthly reports for management
● Manage the transactional processes including accruals and prepayments
● In collaboration with the operations team, develop project spend and income projections (cash flow projections)
● Supervise the preparation of monthly budget versus actual reports for all restricted and unrestricted funds
● Analyze differences in budgets/projections and actual spending and submit budget adjustments request for approval to senior management as required
● Oversee the development of annual organisational budgets and financial plans and reports, quarterly financial reports for the board and monthly reports
● Track and measure staff utilisation rates to ensure that they are in line with internal targets and contractual budgets/ agreements (where applicable)
● Lead on the preparation of year-end accounts and manage the annual audit process
● Ensure optimum financial planning and management (including vis a vis financial risk) as regards currency exchange, all relevant taxes, etc
Donor budget management and reporting
● Ensure timely raising and tracking of invoices and payments
● Maintain oversight of up to date project budgets
● Supervise the creation and maintenance of up to date grant and donor files for all fundraising and project management purposes
● Ensure that all donor related information is disseminated to project, finance and other staff to enable them to abide by donor rules and regulations
● In coordination with the appropriate staff, review payment requirements, prepare and regularly update the project spending plans and cash flows
● Ensure compliance with donor and partner policies, procedures and regulations.
● Provide expert advice on spending and budgets including standard costs and variance analysis (planned vs. actual) and fund accountability statements.
● Support fundraising efforts by preparing financials for grant proposals and reports, analysing previous project financial performance, developing project cash flow forecasts and future financial projection
Legal and contracts management
● Ensure production and submission of all invoices and financial information/documents required by the funder/clients
● Manage all administrative duties and requirements associated with the funder/client contracting process – pre, during and post project award and implementation
● Manage all of the organisation’s legal compliance requirements including with the Charity Commission, Companies House, etc
● Lead on the review and management of all legal contracts for the organisation
Human resources management/ administration/ other
● Manage all contractual and administrative processes to ensure full compliance with Mowgli internal procedures and with external best practice and regulations
● Ensure all relevant insurances (travel, professional indemnity etc) are in place
● Manage the staff leave register and related processes
● If/ when applicable, line manage general administrative/ support personnel, including setting of objectives and learning plans, accountability of delivery and regular performance reviews
● Any other task as requested by Board, CEO or heads of department
● ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA qualified – part-qualified and qualified by experience will be considered
● At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role in a start-up, SME or small yet growing charity or business
● Extensive experience of managing upwards and downwards, supporting and motivating colleagues and managing for performance
● Broad knowledge and experience of designing, implementing and managing rigorous, efficient and effective financial and management information systems within a small organisation
● Experience of payroll, tax/VAT, and currency exchange
● Strong IT skills across all standard packages, as well as with relevant specialist accounting software, i.e. Xero (and/ or QuickBooks, Sage)
● Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with colleagues across geographies
● Commitment to working collaboratively and supportively with other team members, building the financial management/ administration capabilities of relevant staff
● Experience of grant management and reporting with large bilateral and multilateral funds such as the European Union, UN Women and DfID
● Experience of working in international non-profit and/or development organisations
● Knowledge of other languages relevant to Mowgli’s work
No job description will encompass all tasks and responsibilities required, and being a small organisation we expect the post holder to engage in a range of activities broadly in line with those in the description, and a significant degree of adaptability and flexibility is required.
Please send your CV and covering letter outlining how your experience meets the person specification requirements outlined above. Applications should be emailed, noting Finance and Administration Manager in the subject line, by 09.00 on Monday 24 June.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Wednesday 26 June with an invitation to interviews to be held in Bristol in w/c 01 July.
You can download the Finance and Administration Manager job description here
No agencies please.
Please note that applicants must have the right to work in the UK as we are not able to offer sponsorship for this post.