The main purpose of this role is to lead Muscular Dystrophy UK’s (MDUK) policy and campaigning activity, focusing primarily on health policy and new treatment approval activities.
You will lead our work to influence national policy development and implementation to improve health services for people living with a muscle-wasting condition, their carers and families, including influencing for new treatments approvals and managing MDUK’s responses to treatment approval consultations.
You will set the strategy for policy prioritisation within the context of our organisation’s ambitions. You will oversee a programme of policy work including ensuring the delivery of high-quality consultation responses, policy positions and reports.
The successful candidate should have:
- Thorough understanding of and proven experience of campaigning and influencing government, decision makers and public policy in the health and social care sector at every level
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the health landscape and commissioning structures in the NHS (particularly specialised and community based care), with working knowledge of health structures in the 3 devolved nations.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the drug approval pathways in the UK
Expectations in the role
- To ensure MDUK is driving the specialist commissioning agenda; with neuromuscular services adequately funded and embedded within the commissioning infrastructure; leading a constructive relationship with NHS England, devolved bodies and commissioners across the United Kingdom
- To oversee the development of Managed Clinical Networks and Neuromuscular Forums across the United Kingdom, involving patients, local and regional commissioners, as well as health professionals
- To lead MDUK’s relationships with the specialist neuromuscular clinical community, including the maintaining of tools for health professionals such as MDUK’s online training modules and the delivery of MDUK’s flagship professional development conferences
Please download the job description to see full role responsibilities.
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity bringing individuals, families and professionals together to fight muscle-wasting conditions. We bring together more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions, affecting around 70,000 children and adults in the UK.
We appreciate the range of skills and experience our staff have to offer. In return for your enthusiasm and commitment we commit to actively developing and supporting you. We also offer a range of benefits including pension, life assurance, season ticket loan, ride to work scheme, health cash plan, and an employee assistance programme.
This role is based at our office in Southwark, London with flexibility for home working. It is within a short walking distance of Southwark and Borough Tube stations. It is also a short distance from Waterloo Station, London Bridge Station and Blackfriars Station. We are also a 5 minute walk from the Tate Modern and Southbank, perfect place to go for lunch during the warm summer months.
In order to apply, please click on the Apply Now button and send your CV with a covering letter detailing why you are best suited for the role.
Please note interviews likely to be held w/c 1 November 2021.
*Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive we will only contact candidates that are shortlisted for interview. Therefore if you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please note your application has been unsuccessful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.