The Senior Press Officer will be responsible for supporting the work of colleagues across the charity through delivering national, regional and trade media coverage. You will take ownership of the execution of issue-led media campaigns, raising awareness of disability issues and promoting Muscular Dystrophy UK’s lobbying, fundraising and influencing work.
The successful candidate should have:
- Significant experience in a similar role or an experienced Press Officer ready to take the next step up
- Experience working in a busy national press office, preferably in the third sector, or as a journalist
- Experience of writing articles for publication, setting up media interviews and planning campaigns
- Experience of working with case studies of vulnerable people and preparing them for use in the media
Expectations in the role include
- To work with the charity’s key functions - Campaigns, Care and Support, Research and Fundraising - to secure consistent national and regional media coverage for the charity’s campaigns and policy work
- To work with the Advocacy team to identify cases who can benefit from media support and promote key issues for the organisation
- To monitor the media agenda daily, keeping senior team informed of key issues and stories relevant to the charities work. Where relevant, work with colleagues to respond swiftly with comments
Please download the job description to see full role responsibilities.
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity bringing individuals, families and professionals together to fight muscle-wasting conditions. We bring together more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions, affecting around 70,000 children and adults in the UK.
We appreciate the range of skills and experience our staff have to offer. In return for your enthusiasm and commitment we commit to actively developing and supporting you. We also offer a range of benefits including pension, life assurance, season ticket loan, ride to work scheme, health cash plan, and an employee assistance programme.
This role is based at our office in Southwark, London. It is within a short walking distance of Southwark and Borough Tube stations. It is also a short distance from Waterloo Station, London Bridge Station and Blackfriars Station. We are also a 5 minute walk from the Tate Modern and Southbank, perfect place to go for lunch during the warm summer months.
In order to apply, please click on the Apply Now button and send your CV with a covering letter detailing why you are best suited for the role.
Please note interviews are to be held on Thursday 30 July. We may hold interviews before the closing date so early application is advisable.
*Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive we will only contact candidates that are shortlisted for interview. Therefore if you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please note your application has been unsuccessful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.