Who we are:
Muslim Aid are an International not-for-profit providing support to communities around the world affected by disasters, conflict or endemic poverty without regard to their social, religious, or ethnic background.
We place strong emphasis on long-term development projects that build the capacity of local people helping themselves. In addition to the 11 country offices worldwide we also work with multiple partner offices focussing on sustainable development programmes and providing humanitarian relief during times of crisis.
Summary of the role:
The Global Programme Development and Livelihoods Lead will work closely with the Regional Desks and Institutional Funding team at the UK office, and country office teams to develop and implement quality livelihoods projects as part of a comprehensive livelihoods portfolio for Muslim Aid.
The position holder will support project design and development of programmes ensuring high standard of project design. In addition, the role will focus on quality implementation of livelihoods projects following project management standards.
The position holder will lead the development of MA’s livelihood approach globally and oversee capacity development in the area. He/she will also lead in the programmatic development in Afghanistan and India.
About the Role:
This role will be responsible for some key areas:
- Evaluate MA’s current and recent portfolio of livelihoods programming to identify structural strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities within the MA global structure.
- Lead the development of a technically sound global approach to livelihoods and MSD programming
- Lead the capacity development of core programme staff in livelihoods programming at the UK office and COs
- In conjunction with the Institutional Funding team, conduct a yearly livelihoods specific donor mapping, which will be incorporated into the Institutional Funding Department’s donor engagement strategies.
- Follow and closely monitor funding trends, policies and positions from new and existing donors in market systems and livelihoods programming.
- In conjunction with RDs and COs, develop a program development plan for MA globally on livelihoods programming each year
- Support RDs and CO teams in implementing priority livelihoods projects based on the yearly plan
- Provide technical support in the development of concept notes, proposals and situation analyses – for livelihoods and MSD projects.
- Provide technical support in development, quality control and submission of quality reports (narrative and financial) on priority livelihoods projects.
- Support in the development enhanced programming in countries where MA is planning to enhance its current operational and programmatic functions. This includes, but is not limited to, Afghanistan and India
- Support in developing, in these countries, operational functions, government relation development, partner identification, and programmatic planning and development.
This role is based in the UK and the post holder will be required to travel to project locations and COs as and when required. Extensive travel to Afghanistan and India will be expected.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A Master’s degree in a Development with a focus on Livelihoods Programming
- Knowledge and experience of working with institutional donors such as ECHO, EU, UN, USAID, US State department, and DFID
- Extensive experience and training in Market Systems Development (MSD), Making Markets work for the Poor (M4P), Monitoring and Results Measurement (MRM), Value Chain development.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of working in Afghanistan.
- Experience in project grants management for large and complex projects, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc.
- The ability to work with rights-based approach in entire project cycle management
- Experience coaching and mentoring senior programme staff.
In addition, due to the nature of the role and its links to Afghanistan it is essential that you are able to speak and write Dari and Pashtu fluently
Why you should apply:
If you are self-motivated, with the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy this role is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious Livelihood Programme expert to be able to lead on, build and develop a quality global livelihoods portfolio with a specific focus on Afghanistan and India.
You will be joining a supportive, highly-skilled, passionate organisation as a specialist in your field. Muslim Aid offer a 35-hour week, generous holiday allowance of 37 days (including bank holidays), flexible working and encourage a healthy work-life balance.
How to apply:
To apply please submit your cover letter (no more than 1 page) and CV.
Muslim Aid’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children and vulnerable adults in our care/employment. Successful candidates will be expected to undergo a DBS check. In addition, all successful candidates for finance roles will undergo an Experian Credit Check.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief or age.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until closing date, however, Muslim Aid reserves the right to initiate interviews and the selection process on a rolling basis with the aim of identifying an appropriate candidate as quickly as possible.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.