Vacancy Reference Number:
Head of Education
Muslim Hands, 148 – 164 Gregory Boulevard, Gregory House, Nottingham, NG7 5JE
Hours of Work:
Full-time, 35 hours per week
(Up to) £42,000.00 per annum (commensurate with experience)
Terms of Employment:
Permanent Contract (with a 6-Month Probationary Period)
Application Process & Closing Date:
Send an up-to-date CV and supporting Covering Letter by Email by no later than Friday, 26th March 2021
Approx. Interview & Role Commencement Date(s):
Note: Strong Applicants may be contacted sooner, ahead of the closing date, to hold a Zoom Interview with Muslim Hands.
Muslim Hands is a UK faith based international relief and development organisation working in over 40 countries worldwide. The headquarters of Muslim Hands is based in Nottingham, with additional operational function of the - fundraising team located in London. There will be occasional travel between the two locations.
Muslim Hands UK is seeking an enthusiastic, dynamic and passionate individual to lead our Education work. Education is a core part of Muslim Hands Vision and strategy as we grow.
Purpose of Post: to provide strategic oversight and management of the Muslim Hands Education and Orphan Sponsorship portfolio. To ensure Muslim Hands programmes are meeting the needs of the communities we serve and benefit from wider learning from the sector.
The Head of Education will ensure the implementation of the MH Programmes Strategy within the Education and Sponsorship portfolio.
The Head of UK Education will report to the Director of Programmes and will manage the Education and Sponsorship teams.
The candidate will have demonstrable experience of successful delivery of international education programmes and project management.
- To ensure that the MH Programmes Strategy and theory of change for MH education programmes aligns with and in support of MH’s global strategy.
- Carry out regular performance and annual review of education programmes based on strategic aims and KPIs
- Programme Management
- Review proposals of proposed interventions to ensure innovative projects and programmes are designed adhering to sectoral standards, principles in accordance with guideline on humanitarian interventions and best practice
- Effectively coordinate and liaise with partners to ensure education sector good practices are utilised in MH education programmes
- Ensure the successful implementation of project cycle management tools within MH education and sponsorship programmes.
- Ensure MH education programmes are in line with sector and international standards on programme quality
- Support the current education MEAL frameworks and tools and ensure effective programme oversight
- Ensure the programme is in line with MH policies and procedures
- Ensure all programmes are in line with due diligence, risk procedures etc.
- Finance and compliance
- To ensure effective implementation of projects through progress and financial reporting
- Ensure the MH education programmes meet local and international compliance requirements
- Ensure documents and relevant procedures are correctly and appropriately applied.
- Networking and Influencing
- To significantly raise the profile and visibility of MH education Program
- Represent MH on national and regional platforms. To develop understanding, support and to work in collaboration with education focused organisations
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders to ensure the internal visibility of MH programmes
- Capacity Strengthening
- Provide insight into education trends to all relevant internal stakeholders and become a champion for education programmes internally and externally
- Build on current trends such as Education in Emergencies, education partnerships, programmes knowledge and awareness to improve quality of MH education programmes
- Ensure the vision, values and aim of the programme continue to be embedded in all areas of work and are clearly communicated internally and externally.
- Ensuring areas of MH are in line with current education programmes trends
- Ensure the capacity MH education programmes are reviewed and developed through teacher training programmes, infrastructure reviews, curriculum planning etc.
- To work closely with colleagues and partners with relevant technical expertise to ensure (planning, monitoring, fundraising, M&E and governance and other appropriate support is available for programmes.
- Communication and Marketing
- To provide key case studies to the Communication department in Fundraising to create further opportunities by highlighting key stories, which heighten the awareness of the education and sponsorship programmes.
- Provide all relevant education and sponsorship updates to the Communication department via the programmes reporting officer, including producing quarterly reports for them to share updates with our donors.
- To undertake all tasks and duties in an effective, efficient, transparent, and wholly accountable manner
- Ability to demonstrate current eligibility to work within the United Kingdom.
- Ability to provide a valid DBS certificate (issued within the last year) when requested by Muslim Hands; OR Undertake to provide full cooperation for Muslim Hands to perform a DBS Check at the required level appropriate for this / similar role.
- To demonstrate Muslim Hands’ values and ethics in own working practices, approach, and conduct.
- To support with fundraising activities from time-to-time, including occasionally helping with Live TV Appeals during our peak periods.
- To undertake any reasonable responsibilities as required by line manager
Note: This job description will change from time to time due to changes within the Organisation as well as the updating of procedures within your department. If there is a major change to your role then a new job description will be produced.
About the Successful Candidate:
- Ability to demonstrate current eligibility to work within the United Kingdom
- Must be able to either:
- Provide a valid Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) certificate (issued within the last year) when requested by Muslim Hands; OR
- Undertake to provide full cooperation for Muslim Hands to perform a DBS Check at the required level appropriate for this / similar role.
- Uphold Muslim Hands’ Organisational Values
- University Degree (BA, BSc).
- MBA, or masters level degree in International Development or related subject.
- Experience of programme management in low- and middle-income countries.
- Experience of leading and managing teams.
- Experience on managing education programmes
- Charities/INGO experience.
- Experience of working with institutional donors
- Experience of managing a portfolio of international education programmes
This is a very rewarding position for the right person. If you feel this is you please send your CV with a cover letter explaining why you feel you are suitable quoting the above reference number!!
Deadline for applications is Friday, 26th March 2021, however, we reserve the right to end the application procedure early should the right candidate be found.
NB: Unfortunately, we will only be able to contact successful candidates so if you have not heard from us by the closure date unfortunately your application will have been unsuccessful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.