Muslim Hands is a UK based international relief organisation working in over 40 countries worldwide. The Head Office in Nottingham and a fundraising team in Whitechapel London; occasional travel between the two locations. Muslim Hands UK is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate individual to join our team during an exciting period of growth and change as we have ambitious plans to grow our activities by 2020.
About the Role: [Role Overview]
Reporting directly to the Deputy CEO, this pivotal new role will drive culture change across the charity, ensuring our change programme is underpinned by a coherent, long-term and practical commitment to building all aspects of a modern, diverse, capable workforce. In this exciting and wide-ranging role, you will deliver our strategies.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a high calibre, big picture thinker with considerable experience of advising Chief Executives and Boards and whose experience combines both strategic and operational leadership ability. You will be skilled in driving and embedding organisational effectiveness and cultural change in line with organisational strategies. With a demonstrable track record of delivering strategic impact, your approach to leadership will embody five core leadership traits: academic, learning, adaptable, inclusive and trustworthy.
- To act as the authoritative People Strategy adviser to Muslim Hands and, where necessary, supporting the CEO in engaging with Trustees and governance Committees on key People issues, risks and priorities.
- To be a powerful advocate for Muslim Hands ambitions for workforce development and capability (paid and unpaid) by creating a visible personal leadership presence in all aspects of workforce development and culture change.
- To devise and deliver a transformative and innovative people and cultural change strategy that aligns fully with our values and Muslim Hands Strategy and sets us apart as a great place to work.
- Be an active, effective and accountable member of the organisation, exhibiting strong leadership, leading by example.
- To establish the development of our organisational learning and development agenda.
- To formulate credible proposals on all strategic considerations for our people and organisational culture – with a particular focus on increasing our equality, diversity and inclusion at all levels across the charity.
- To coach the senior leadership team as necessary, ensuring expert support is put in place that drives high standards of leadership, talent development and employee engagement.
- To create and lead a People and Culture function that is recognised and valued as a centre of excellence in delivering our strategic goals and organisational development priorities, offering relevant expertise and, proactively sharing insights that add value.
- To ensure all contributions from the People and Culture team fully meets expectations including quality of People Policies, Talent acquisition, Compensation and Benefits. Specifically, Employee Relations and support to Senior Leadership roles.
- To exhibit Muslim Hands core values.
- To deliver and lead a People Strategy focused on culture change and organisational development intervention which creates a progressive, agile, dynamic workplace experience and environment for the future which enhances employee engagement and wellbeing.
- To work with colleagues to identify the skills, knowledge, and capability and culture of Muslim Hands needs to deliver future plans.
- To implement new talent management and wider learning programmes at all levels which align with our ambition to be a ‘learning organisation’, engaging our people to fulfil their potential, perform better and want to stay longer.
- To keep under constant review the charity’s approach to pay, reward/recognition and benefits to ensure we attract, recognise and retain talented paid and unpaid colleagues who are committed to Muslim Hands mission.
- To lead a department that provides an effective business-focused employee relations approach.
- To lead the charity’s approach to performance management, focusing on inspiring, equipping, empowering and rewarding colleagues to meet and exceed expectations.
- To ensure that paid and unpaid colleagues have access to appropriate support to maintain their personal wellbeing and maximise their contribution.
- To ensure that all other people and volunteering policies and procedures are as robust and efficient as possible; are legally compliant, fit for purpose and take account of emerging external risk factors and support delivery of the Strategy.
- To use data proactively to improve our organisational performance and encourage business-focused decisions.
- To ensure meaningful people insight (including through regular Employee Opinion Surveys) is provided in order to assist the Chief Executive and SMT in decision making and planning.
- To keep up to date with relevant Government policy proposals and legislation, and the best practice of relevant organisations, ensuring that the charity complies with legislation and adopts prevailing best practice wherever feasible.
- To act as a professional role model that inspires, motivates and enthuses staff within the team and more widely across the charity, promoting a culture of learning, professionalism, collaboration and innovation, celebrating successes and encouraging ambition and achievement.
- To demonstrate Muslim Hands’ values and ethics in own working practices, approach and conduct
- To support with Fundraising activities from time-to-time, committing to partake in approximately 5-Live-TV-Appeals during our peak periods.
- To undertake any reasonable responsibilities as required by Line Manager
- To promote and adhere to all Muslim Hands Policies, Procedures and Professional Practices
Note: This job description will change from time to time due to changes within the Organisation as well as the updating procedures within your department. If there is a major change to your role then a new job description will be produced.
About the Successful Candidate:
- Ability to demonstrate current eligibility to work within the United Kingdom
- Must be able to either:
(A) Provide a valid Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) certificate (issued within the last year) when requested by Muslim Hands;
(B) Undertake to provide full cooperation for Muslim Hands to perform a DBS Check at the required level appropriate for this / similar role.
- Uphold Muslim Hands’ Organisational Values
- Hold a relevant Postgraduate or Master’s degree in Human Resources Management or equivalent (Level 7) with proof of Suitable HR related experience
- 7+ years' experience in HR, with a minimum of 3 years' experience in team management / in a senior leadership role
- Expertise in Employee Relations, Employment Legislation, Policy and Procedure and the ability to recruit and train new staff and instil highest standards amongst new employees
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of current UK Employment Law
- Extremely confident communicator with the ability to easily build relationships, rapport and trust with all types of people at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience in leading a People Operations or Human Resources functions.
- Previous experience of leading operational change programmes within a HR environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with senior stakeholders and programme leads to deliver results on time, on budget and to high standards.
- Able to make connections across the organisation and provide support and challenge, working collaboratively across functions.
- Associate member (or higher) of the CIPD with evidence of continuous personal development
- Track record in developing and delivering HR/ People and Culture strategy and of advising HR managers and senior staff
- Previous experience of working closely with an Exec Board member, delivering clear communications on their behalf.
- Working knowledge and experience within a similar Role
- Working knowledge and experience of working within an International NGO
This role would suit someone who thrives working in a fast-paced environment and who enjoys facing challenges; often working to tight deadlines.
This is a very rewarding position for the right person. If you feel this is you please send your CV with a cover letter explaining why you feel you are suitable quoting the above reference number!!
Deadline for applications is Friday, 14th February 2020, however, we reserve the right to end the application procedure early should the right candidate be found.
NB: Unfortunately, we will only be able to contact successful candidates so if you have not heard from us by the closure date unfortunately your application will have been unsuccessful.
Vacancy Reference Number:
Head of People and Culture
Muslim Hands, 148 – 164 Gregory Boulevard, Gregory House, Nottingham, NG7 5JE
Hours of Work:
Full-time, 35 hours per week
(Up to) £44,000.00 per annum (commensurate with experience)
Terms of Employment:
18-Months’ Fixed-Term Contract (with a 6-Month Probationary Period)
Application Process & Closing Date:
Send an up to date CV and supporting Covering Letter by Email by no later than Friday, 14th February 2020
Approx. Interview & Role Commencement Date(s):
Interviews: W/C 24th February 2020
Start: ASAP thereafter
Note: Strong Applicants may be contacted sooner, ahead of the closing date, to hold a Skype Interview with Muslim Hands; therefore, please include your Skype ID in your application.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.