Vacancy Reference Number:
The Open Kitchen Coordinator
Hours of Work:
Full-time, 35 hours per week
Up to £26,000 per year Dependent on Experience
Terms of Employment:
Fixed Term Contract (with a 6-Month Probationary Period)
Application Process & Closing Date:
Send an up-to-date CV and supporting Covering Letter by Email by no later than, Friday 22nd July 2022
Approx. Interview & Role Commencement Date(s):
Note: Strong Applicants may be contacted sooner, ahead of the closing date, to hold Online Interview with Muslim Hands; therefore, please familiarise yourself with MS Teams and Zoom Meetings, prior to submitting your application.
Main purpose of the Role:
The Open Kitchen (OK) is a café style community-centred space where everyone is welcome to come to enjoy a free and nutritional meal between 11:00am till 2:00pm from Monday to Friday. The Open Kitchen is a lifeline to the thousands that experience food poverty on a daily basis, ranging from homeless people to low-income families. OK also provides a range of other services including counselling, and pathways to other service providers.
The role will be responsible for the day to day running of OK in Birmingham as well as working with the rest of the UK Programmes Department in achieving its national objectives.
- To manage all of the day to day running of the Open Kitchen in Birmingham.
- To be the first point of contact for The Open Kitchen Birmingham in dealing with queries and issues
- To recruit, train and manage volunteers for The Open Kitchen
- To ensure that OK is compliant with national and local regulations such as Food hygiene standards and H&S.
- To liaise with UK Programmes Department to ensure that all documentation for the project is up to date and the project is running within Muslim Hands policies such as Safeguarding Policy.
- Lead on preparing and delivering activity/promotional days at the open kitchen
- To work with the Fundraising Department in developing interesting concepts and providing regular feedback to them.
- To submit feedback and reports on the Open Kitchen in line with MH templates and requirements
Networking and Advocacy
- Forge relationships with the local council and stakeholders to achieve Muslim Hands’ objectives in terms of OK and food security.
- Represent MH and the OK programme at local forums to ensure visibility of the programme within the sector
- Keep record of expenditure and financial reporting
- To demonstrate Muslim Hands’ values and ethics in own working practices, approach and conduct
- To support with Fundraising activities from time-to-time, committing to partake in approximately 5-Live-TV-Appeals during our peak periods.
- To undertake any reasonable responsibilities as required by Line Manager
- To promote and adhere to all Muslim Hands Policies, Procedures and Professional Practice
NB: This Job Description is illustrative and non-exhaustive in scope. The post-holder may be required to undertake any reasonable tasks as and when required by Line Manager from time to time to reflect the changing needs of the Organisation.
- Ability to work with vulnerable groups such as the homeless
- Experience in volunteering or managing volunteers
- Demonstrate ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Possess exceptional interpersonal and organisational skills
- Demonstrate the ability to use one’s own initiative and work independently
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to signpost people to other agencies effectively
- Ability to demonstrate current eligibility to work within the United Kingdom
- Must be able to either:
- Provide a valid Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) certificate (issued within the last year) when requested by Muslim Hands; OR
- Undertake to provide full cooperation for Muslim Hands to perform a DBS Check at the required level appropriate for this / similar role.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of foodbanks, food distribution or charitable sector.
- An understanding of Birmingham City and the different stakeholders which operate within the relevant sector
- Knowledge of running food establishments
- Demonstrate relevant NGO/Charity experience
- Demonstrate knowledge of Programmes, Financial, organisational risk management
- Demonstrate knowledge of Human Resources Administration
NB: Unfortunately, we will only be able to contact successful candidates so if you have not heard from us by the closure date unfortunately your application will have been unsuccessful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.