This is a key role driving the whole of our film production programme to improve the lives of people living with dementia, leading the evaluation of our impact, as well as taking on a broader operational role across the organisation and working closely with the Director.
Role: Programme Manager
Salary: £28,000 per annum
Hours: Full-time – 37.5 hours.
Location: Richmond, London
Start date: Sept 2nd 2019
About My Life Films
My Life Films is an award-winning charity which uses creative film-making to improve the lives of people living with dementia. In 2016 we won awards for Charity Start-up of the Year and Outstanding Dementia Care Product of the Year. Since then we have continued to grow, we have carried out trials and evaluations that validate the meaningful impact we are making for our beneficiaries, and their families and carers.
Our core team currently consists of an Executive Director, a Programmes Manager and Assistant Project Manager who together manage our dementia film-making programmes, an Events and Community Fundraising Coordinator who works to secure our voluntary income and a Production Manager who primarily focuses on our social enterprise film-production company.
Our current Programme Manager is leaving after 3 years in the role, so we are now looking for someone new to join us in this key role for My Life Films.
My Life Films has made over 230 films for people living with dementia and their families. We have a strong presence in London and have recently expanded our work to the South Coast. In parallel with continuing to deliver on grants from various trusts and foundations we are developing ways in which we can scale-up and create greater impact. The first approach we are taking is to pilot a regional hub model by setting up referral networks and recruiting local film-makers in an area outside of London (Sandwell, Birmingham). The second is to develop the range of My Life Film products. This currently includes working on a new short film concept focused on the carer-patient relationship and building a proof of concept for a My Life Films mobile App.
This is a key role at My Life Films, driving the whole of our film production programme and the evaluation of our impact, as well as taking on a broader operational role across the organisation and working closely with the Director.
The right person will be passionate about our work supporting people living with dementia through creative film-making and will have experience of running a programme at the heart of an organisation’s mission. Ideally you will have experience of, or keen interest in, working in a health/social care setting as well as a familiarity with digital technology.
You will have proven project management expertise, organisational and planning skills and the ability to work as a member of a committed and ambitious team. You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form caring and respectful relationships with the families with whom we work, along with our film-makers and the wider My Life Films network.
- Creating project plans, deliverables, milestones and deadlines to deliver a range of grant-funder projects, covering different locations, beneficiary groups and timelines
- Identifying and recruiting beneficiary families to participate in their own My Life Film
- Ability to manage project resources and timelines in accordance to our grant funder deliverables, ensuring there is a strong pipeline of beneficiaries and that the team and filmmakers meet agreed deadlines and deliver to grant funder requirements
- Creation of project management tracking to maintain overview of progress against targets, reforecasting this periodically as projects complete and new projects start.
Beneficiaries (our Stars)
- Recruiting and bringing on-board beneficiary families, through phone calls, web submissions, face to face meetings and general marketing
- On-going guidance and coaching, liaising between the beneficiary families, filmmaker and carer or care home providing an empathetic approach to the emotional needs and stresses of the beneficiary families, and helping them through the My Life Films process
- Recruiting, training and managing our network of freelance film-makers
- Assigning My Life Film films to filmmakers, briefing them and agreeing deliverables
- Monitoring progress of each My Life Film during pre-production, production and post-production, with quality compliance to ensure they meet editorial and technical standards
- Ongoing optimisation of My Life Films operational workflows by analysing entire beneficiary journey from recruitment to the filmmaking process, to the Premiere and on to after-care, and making improvements to systems, methods and communications as necessary.
- Setting up and running projects in new locations by building connections with individuals and organisations and monitoring the progress of these against the initial objectives.
Evaluation of Impact
- Distribution and monitoring of beneficiary surveys (and follow-up surveys) to understand the impact each My Life Film has on the beneficiary, their family and carers over time.
- Develop evaluation frameworks with grant funders, care homes, beneficiaries & filmmakers
- Working with clinical and care home trials conducted by external research bodies
- Creation of impact reports / presentations for funders, conferences and events as needed
- Organising events when required (venues, invites, catering, AV, IT, staffing, logistics etc)
- Creating and giving presentations to promote the charity where opportunities arise
- Attending events and conferences on behalf of the charity, including arranging stalls
- Writing reports for funders, with support from Grants writer and Assistant Project Manager
- Reporting reports for the board at Trustee meetings and minutes for Trustee meetings
- Weekly internal reports on dementia film progress with Assistant Project Manager
- Creating case studies from the impact assessments
- General management of eTapestry, creating new users, reviewing the functionality of current eTap set up for reporting and everyday use and reviewing contract
- Responsible for receipt and issuing of invoices across full range of activities and office administration, working with our accounting software and volunteer accountant
- Working with Events and Community Fundraiser on writing and sending newsletters
- Data Protection/GDPR responsibilities
- Ad hoc admin and office management tasks
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience of a project management role with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- A successful track-record of delivering programme contracts funded by trusts, foundation and health sector organisations
- Experience of managing a wide range of groups/stakeholders – film-makers, families, programme partners, trusts and foundations - in ways which maximise our ability to deliver and to secure support for My Life Films
- Experience of writing reports for various audiences
- Experience of implementing ambitious short-medium term plans
- Demonstrable understanding of good practice in GDPR & data management
- Experience of working to deadlines and budgets
- Experience of recruiting and managing freelancers and volunteers; ability to inspire and motivate
- Experience of setting up and running evaluation programmes and ability to analyse results, providing learning for My Life Films and case studies and testimonies for marketing purposes
- Experience in giving presentations and participating in community group meetings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build warm, professional and trusting relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to influence a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in a wide range of media and to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of the health and care sector and funding landscape; preferred but not essential
- Excellent IT skills, in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and in using databases (ideally E-tapestry)
- Ability to plan and execute a wide range of activities and initiatives and to use your imagination and initiative in problem solving
- Good organisational and workload management skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritise effectively
- Good numerical literacy and confidence in working with and meeting targets
- The ability and willingness to work flexible hours on occasion - this role will need occasional evening and weekend work.
- Self-motivated, proactive and resilient; able to work independently, flexibly, and as part of team
- Creative, solutions-focussed and positive; able to motivate others in their support of the charity
- Passion for the vision, mission and aims of My Life Films
Terms and Conditions
- £28,000 annual salary
- 20 days annual holiday plus national holidays/Bank holidays
- Company pension scheme
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a tailored CV with a covering letter to Jorg Roth (Founder of My Life Films) clearly outlining your motivation and how you meet the Person Specification for the role.
Please note applications without a covering letter will not be considered
We will be short-listing and conducting initial interviews on a rolling basis, however:
- Deadline for applications is 3pm on Friday July 26th
- Final Interviews will take place Tues Aug 6th