Job Description: Operations Director
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Base: Milton Keynes (with some travel nationwide)
Job Type: Permanent (FT or PT for the right candidate)
Salary: £52,000 to £56,000 per annum (FTE)
The National Energy Foundation
The National Energy Foundation is an independent charity based in Milton Keynes, which has been at the forefront of improving the use of energy in buildings since 1988. We aim to give people, organisations and government the knowledge, support and inspiration they need to understand, manage and reduce the use of energy in buildings.
The Operations Director will oversee organisational operations in accord with the strategy and business plans agreed by the Chief Executive and Trustee Board, to ensure overall organisational goals and objectives are met. This is very much a ‘hands on’ multi-disciplinary role, as such the Operations Director will oversee key centralised business support functions, as well as some operational activity. We’re looking for an individual who has the ability to design, deliver and manage successful business functions, from concept to detailed design; someone who has the drive and personality to personally embed these practices into daily operational practice.
NB: NEF is currently exploring a merger with another organisation which would result in a ‘group’ structure. This role is advertised in that context and would therefore be focused on providing operational support across the ‘group’.
- Lead internal operational employees to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and trained and carry out their responsibilities to the required standard; provide overall senior leadership for the Milton Keynes location for teams who may or may not be in your reporting line.
- Contribute to the development of NEF’s charitable strategy and lead development in all organisational operations to ensure that the company achieves its short and long-term objectives.
- Develop and implement all necessary policies and procedures to facilitate management oversight, adherence to our Quality Management Systems and to ensure that all internal operations achieve their business objectives.
- Develop and maintain project reporting and compliance analysis for all operational areas.
- Alongside the Chief Executive, develop and control all operational budgets to ensure that the company has the resources required to meet its objectives within agreed financial parameters and to maintain the financial strength of the company.
- Develop and maintain all necessary systems and procedures to ensure that NEF’s operations comply with Charity Commission guidance and legal requirements.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive business support function through mostly outsourced delivery; including HR, IT and some in-house functions including quality and audit.
- Regularly review operational delivery and business support to ensure they meet required standards, for new and existing contracts. Recommend changes where necessary.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with all other areas of the business to ensure that there is effective co-ordination of all activities in support of overall charitable objectives.
- Act as the NEF’s main adviser on all issues relating to operational functions and latest developments to ensure that the Company maintains its competitive position.
- A degree or equivalent and relevant professional qualifications is desirable.
- Extensive experience in operations leadership at a senior level.
- Experience of the sustainability sector would be desirable, particularly in energy or built environment related sectors.
- A solid grasp of delivering effective business support functions, including HR and IT.
- Excellent inter-personal and negotiating skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organized, with good time management skills.
- Self-motivated and adaptable.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and stability in challenging situations.
- An engaging, thoughtful and inspirational leader.
- Experience of operating at Board level would be advantageous.
Please apply with your CV and Cover Letter outlining why you feel you would excel in this role by 10th July 2020.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.