The National Eye Research Centre (NERC) is a fundraising charity that funds eye research teams across the UK to find the causes of eye disease to develop new prevention methods and more effective treatments. We fund research in all eye diseases affecting both children and adults.
We are seeking a dynamic and organised team player with strong administration skills and a confident customer service approach. You will make an essential contribution to NERC’s growing team and will enable the organisation’s strategic development by providing excellent administrative support to a number of areas including fundraising, grant making, financial processes, and general office management. The job is initially devised as a part time role (either 3 or 4 days a week) and can be worked flexibly across the week. There is scope for the role to grow to a full time equivalent (or job share).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Donations processing and records management
- Processing all postal and online donations on the charity’s CRM (Donorfy).
- Ensuring that all recurring donations are updated on Donorfy on a monthly basis and new instructions are set up in a timely fashion.
- Thanking postal and online donors using agreed existing templates for communications and within the charity’s stewardship turnaround times (48 hours).
- Regularly reviewing Gift Aid declarations and chase any that are out of date or incorrect by running the relevant, pre-prepared database queries on Donorfy.
- Running a weekly query from Donorfy to identify new donors and donors over £250 and provide the list to the CEO for bespoke stewardship.
- Ensuring that all relevant donor communications are recorded on Donorfy.
- Ensuring that donor records are kept up to date and any changes in communication preferences are adequately and timely recorded on Donorfy.
- Maintaining any relevant paper and digital donation records that might be required for auditing purposes.
- Ensuring that shared electronic files (e.g. relating to the charity’s operations, grant management, finances, etc.) are organised and maintained in a systematic fashion.
- Informing the CEO (Data Controller) of any complaint received by donors or other supporters.
Financial operations support
- Supporting the day to day financial operations of the organisation, including banking of donations and logging of incoming donations and outgoing payments.
- Paying suppliers and grants invoices.
- Carrying out monthly bank reconciliations.
- Maintaining accurate and up to date financial records in preparation for regular audit reviews .
- Running database queries to provide the CEO with financial information in preparation of quarterly management accounts and annual audited accounts.
- Providing the CEO with monthly updates on grants payments made and flagging any unexpected changes or delays on the part of grant holders.
NERC Grants Co-ordination
- Supporting the CEO in liaising with applicants, the Scientific Advisory Committee, and NERC Trustees to provide a list of fundable major projects at the charity’s annual grant making round.
- Supporting the CEO in liaising with applicants, advisory panel, and Chair of Trustees to provide a list of fundable seed grants at the four grant-making rounds per year.
- Communicating with successful and unsuccessful applicants on the outcome of their applications using existing templates and forms.
- Issuing successful applicants with grant award contracts and terms and conditions.
- Supporting the CEO in maintaining an up to date database of peer reviewers.
- Keeping up to date records of all existing grant commitments, including all relevant financial information on each grant.
- Within agreed procedures, ensuring that quarterly invoices from grant holders are received on time and for accurate amounts.
- Issuing payments of grant holder invoices.
- Within agreed criteria and procedures, ensuring that all projects progress reports are received on time and with a satisfactory level of detail.
- Supporting the CEO in all aspects of legacy administration with guidance and under supervision.
- Logging all correspondence with estate executors on Donorfy and maintain up to date paper records of estate administration correspondence with executors suitable for auditing.
- Maintaining up to date financial records of all estates in administration to enable legacy income forecasting.
- Alerting the CEO of any unexplained estate administration delays incurred by executors by regularly reviewing all estates in administration.
- Supporting the CEO in liaising with the next of kin wherever possible for stewardship purposes and to gathering information on the donor which could be used for legacy marketing purposes.
- Providing logistics support to the organisation of donor engagement and stewardship events.
General office management
- Acting as the first point of contact for the charity by handling inquiries by phone, email, and post.
- Ensuring that all relevant reports are updated on the Charity Commission’s website and updating information whenever necessary.
- Keeping up to date folders on Trustees information.
- Supporting the CEO with the planning and running of Trustees Board meetings, including distribution of papers and typing of meeting minutes.
- Booking meeting rooms and catering for internal and external meetings.
- Maintaining adequate stationery supplies to ensure the smooth running of the office.
The postholder may also be expected to carry out other duties, which may be reasonably requested. As such, the job may involve occasional evening and weekend work, for which time off in lieu can be claimed.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications
- You have a University degree or equivalent OR Business and Administration Level 3 Certificate (NVQ).
- You have at least 2 years’ experience working in a public facing administrative role.
- You have demonstrable experience of office management, committee servicing, budget monitoring, creating and maintaining reporting schedules, updating databases and using them to produce reports.
- You have a solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel.
- You have worked in a fundraising charity.
- You have worked in a grant making organisation.
- You have experience of bookkeeping and you have a working knowledge of Sage and Xero.
- You have experience of administering a grants to external organisations, including monitoring expenditure on grants awarded by the organisation, and creating and updating schedules for grant holders to report back to the organisation on grant expenditure and project outcomes.
Skills and attributes
- You are polite, courteous and customer focused.
- You have excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- You are able to work with minimum supervision, are proactive and take initiative, e.g. by identifying problems, proposing solutions and escalating issues appropriately.
- You have a flair for implementing efficient systems and processes and continually seek to improve operational procedures.
- You have strong organising skills, you are meticulous and have excellent attention to detail.
- You have a positive team ethos and are keen to contribute to the overall success of the charity.
- You are able to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities.
- You are resilient and able to adapt to changing priorities.
- You maintain high standards of personal appearance, conduct, respect for company property and reputation.
- You work within the appropriate company policies and procedures including health and safety.
- You maintain confidentiality of information about customers, suppliers, contracts, tenders and other commercially sensitive matters.
- This position has a 6 months’ probation period.
- 30 days paid annual leave (pro rata) plus public holidays.
- Up to 5% matching employer’s contribution to the charity’s workplace pension scheme (NEST).
- Flexible working considered.
- Free onsite parking at the Almondsbury site.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing date: Wednesday 26th February
Invitations to interview: Friday 28th February
Interviews: Wednesday 4th March
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.