The National Institute of Economic and Social Research is Britain’s oldest, and one of its most prestigious independent research institutes. We specialise in applied social and economic research, combining high academic standards with relevance to policy making. Our reputation for quality and independence, outstanding networks and unrivalled location at the heart of Westminster makes us the ideal base to build a national profile for academic or policy research that makes real impact.
We are seeking a Finance Manager to join the Administration team. The purpose of the role is to formulate and implement NIESR’s financial and accounting practices, to support its business objectives and to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
The essential requirements we are looking for in the successful candidate are:
- Post-qualification experience of:
- Preparing end of year accounts for audit purposes
- Preparing budgets and cashflow forecasts
- Developing and reviewing effective financial systems and controls.
- Preparing management accounts
- Successfully managing multiple competing priorities while meeting deadlines and objectives in a high- pressure environment.
- Innovating in the development of processes, procedures and information systems to support the work of your team and maintaining these effectively.
- Effective leadership and line management in a financial or other relevant environment.
- Experience using accountancy software, and the ability to use MS Excel to high level (including pivot tables).
- Some knowledge of Access or willingness to learn
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent).
- Knowledge of the operational and technical aspects of payment processing, ledgers, credit control, bookkeeping and provision of management information.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- The ability to produce accurate and concise reports to inform organisation decisions and objectives
- Understanding of charity/non-profit accounting requirements and recognition of the challenges faced.
The following are required of all roles with the organisation. However, you do not need to address these in your application.
- An understanding of and commitment to Diversity & Equality
- Willingness and ability to work hours outside of normal office hours on occasion (time off in lieu will be granted).
Willingness to work flexibly in response to changing organisational requirements.
To apply for this role, please send full CV and a supporting statement of no more than 1500 words setting how you meet the essential requirements outlined above. Please number each point and address these one at a time to ensure that we are able to fully consider how your experience, skills and abilities meet the needs of the post. Please refer to the attached job description and person specification for full details of the role.
Applications should be sent to Louise Hodgson via email. In your application, please include the following:
• Where you saw the advert
• Approximate start date
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.