Programme Manager - Young Readers Programme (Contract)
Are you a strategically minded Programme Manager with experience of forging relationships with a range of stakeholders? Do you have the vision and passion to lead a team and bring the joy of reading to children living in areas of deprivation? If so, read on.
The National Literacy Trust is a national charity dedicated to raising literacy levels in the UK. One person in six in the UK has poor literacy skills that impact on every area of their life. A child without good reading, writing and communication skills can’t succeed at school, and as an adult they could be locked out of the job market. Poverty doubles the likelihood that, by the age of five, a child’s literacy skills will be below average.
Our flagship book-gifting programme is the Young Readers Programme. Delivered in partnership with teachers in targeted schools across the UK, the programme enables children to choose their own books and increase their motivation to read.
We are now looking for a Programme Manager to join us on a maternity cover contract lasting up to one year and support the delivery of the Young Readers Programme.
- Salary of £34,000 - £40,000 pro rata
- Pension (8% employer contribution)
- A generous annual leave allowance totalling 39 days pro rata (including Bank Holidays and office closure between Christmas and New Year)
- Cycle to work scheme
We believe that the ability to communicate is a fundamental right and that society will only be fair when everyone has the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills they need to fulfil their potential.
By working with us, you can help to transform lives through literacy.
During this rewarding contract, you will have the chance to drive the delivery of a programme that will make a positive difference to children, nurture their love of reading and improve their literacy levels.
As the Programme Manager, you will lead the development and delivery of the Young Readers Programme.
Working with funders and partners, you will take ownership of all aspects of the programme, including line managing a team, budget management, strategic planning, programme evaluation and ensuring the sustainability of our work.
In this role, you will:
- Identify opportunities to engage schools, local/national government and funding streams
- Ensure the programme is evidence-based and informed by current research and practice
- Identify, anticipate and mitigate potential programme risks
- Work with the Development Team to create new funding applications
- Act as an advocate for our charity externally
To join us as a Programme Manager, you will need experience in the below:
- Programme management, including financial and risk management within the charity and/or private sectors
- Strategic vision, leadership and planning and delivering outcomes
- Internal relationship and stakeholder management, including motivating a team
- External senior stakeholder management
- Working in partnership with, or being directly employed by, a school or schools
- Change management
- Fundraising and income generation
We’d like to hear from you if you’ve worked as a Project Manager, Project Delivery Manager, Programme Delivery Manager, Education Project Manager, or Fundraising Programme Manager.
The closing date for applications is 10am on 27th November 2019.
The National Literacy Trust is committed to being an equal opportunities employer and aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, ethnicity or religion.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Programme Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 35 hours per week