National Numeracy is seeking a proactive and dynamic Head of Communications to build on a successful period and drive our comms in the new decade.
National Numeracy is an independent charity that focuses on adults and children with low levels of numeracy. We aim to challenge prevailing attitudes, influence public policy and research, and identify and promote effective approaches to improving numeracy. Where possible, we will work in partnership with others to achieve these aims. Founded in 2012, the work of National Numeracy is carried out with support from key partner organisations and funders. We are a small team applying our experience and dedication to address the frequently neglected yet essential role of numeracy in everyone’s everyday lives.
National Numeracy has recently developed a 5-year strategy, which launches in 2020. You will take the lead on implementing the communications strand of this work, aiming to raising the profile and awareness of the work of National Numeracy and ensure that it continues to cement its position as the ‘go to’ place for anyone seeking information or help relating to numeracy within the UK.
You will oversee the day-to-day running of the communications team and its work across a range of channels. You will also work closely with the Chief Executive, trustees and senior management team, and be involved in various aspects of communications, external affairs and marketing including managing our digital offer and ensuring the success of national campaigns. You will lead on the strands of activity relating to raising awareness and work with the senior team on policy and strategy.
- Lead, develop and implement the 5-year communications strategy.
- Create effective, integrated and dynamic communications through a range of channels to ensure KPIs are met.
- Work with the team to develop, manage and implement the content and SEO strategy, across NN website and social media.
- Support the CEO, senior management team and trustees in public-facing influencing activities
- Oversee production of reports, editorial, and other material, and act as brand guardian for National Numeracy’s messaging and tone of voice.
- Lead NN’s media work, by managing excellent relationships with journalists and partner media teams, developing pitches and press releases, and working closely with PR agencies.
- Maintain an excellent understanding of the external communications environment including the news and social media agenda, ensure the team is prepared to respond to breaking communications opportunities.
- Manage relationships with stakeholder content teams, bloggers, and high-profile figures working on the public representation of numeracy.
- Tell success stories; unearth case studies from learners and oversee their use across NN channels and wider media.
- Manage NN’s long-term measurement of public attitudes towards maths; conduct annual nationwide surveys, work with the NN data analyst to interpret new reports and datasets.
- Lead and line manage the comms team.
- Work closely with other operational leads within the organisation, providing strategic communications advice and practical support to ensure successful delivery of the wider work of the charity.
- Work with the finance team to manage budgets where appropriate.
You will be:
- Dynamic, enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- A creative thinker keen to use your initiative to support the overall aims of the organisation
- Well organised with good time management and able to prioritise
- Experienced at building and sustaining professional relationships online, on the phone and in person
- Numerate and will identify with the importance of numeracy and the aims of the organisation
- Resilient and prepared to see tasks through to finish
- Good at detail, spotting mistakes, anticipating problems and finding alternative solutions.
You will have (essential)
- Excellent written skills, able to create effective copy for a range of audiences.
- Degree level education or equivalent experience.
- Good experience of a media, PR or public affairs environment.
- Proven skills in a broad range of software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation / graphics and database, CRM, CMS, website analytics.
- Excellent attention to detail and proof-reading skills.
- Proven organisational, time management and decision-making skills.
- Experience of managing people and leading projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Experience delivering and implementing a communications strategy.
You will have (desired):
- Experience of working in the third sector or in an education/maths environment.
- Experience of securing content and editorial partnerships.
- Experience of overseeing website re-platforming projects from start to finish.
We are offering:
- 25 days’ holiday a year
- a supportive approach to career development
- company pension scheme
- a flexible approach to working
- on-site parking or easy walk from Lewes train and bus stations
- £39,000 - £41,000 per annum pro rata
National Numeracy offers a supportive working environment. We are a friendly team and have regular team events. We take life-long learning seriously and support all staff members to continue their learning journey during their time at NN.
National Numeracy is based in Lewes, East Sussex but works with a national remit. There may be some UK travel associated with this post.
*This job description doesn't constitute a promise or guarantee of employment
**National Numeracy retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position as required.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.