Job Title Executive Assistant to Chief Executive
Hours Part / Full time 3-5 days per week. We are open to hearing about flexible models or slightly different hours
Salary £27,000 per annum pro rata, pension matched up to 6.5% of salary after successful completion of probation
Annual leave 25 days per annum pro rata – plus the days between Christmas and New Year
Location A mix of home and office-based working, Central London, in line with government guidance at the time
National Voices is the leading coalition of health and social care charities in England. We have more than 160 members covering a diverse range of health conditions and communities, connecting us with the experiences of millions of people. We work together to strengthen the voice of patients, service users, carers, their families, and the voluntary organisations that work for them, with a particular focus on people affected by inequality and disadvantage.
Since starting 18 months ago, National Voices’ Chief Executive Charlotte Augst has revitalised the charity, overseeing the implementation of a new strategy, developing a new business model, and bringing in a new team. Under her leadership we have achieved considerable influencing success and are growing as an organisation. Charlotte was recently recognised by the Health Services Journal as one of the most influential people in health and care in the UK.
We are a small, friendly team of eight who work closely together to achieve our aims.
Charlotte now needs a very personable and capable Executive Assistant to provide high-level support to ensure she has the space to focus on leading the charity into a sustainable future. This is a varied role which requires someone who can think on their feet at the same time as ensuring high-quality administrative and organisational support.
The postholder will have the opportunity to work with senior stakeholders from across our member charities, the NHS and government, at the same time as supporting a growing organisation to undertake vital work that makes a tangible difference to people using health and care services.
National Voices has a strong commitment to equality and diversity.
We particularly welcome applications from people from a BME background, as they are currently under-represented in our workforce.
We also encourage applications from candidates with lived experience of using health and care services.
Supporting the Chief Executive
To provide administrative and organisational support to the Chief Executive:
- Manage the Chief Executive’s busy and complex diary
- Email management, ensuring queries and actions are followed up
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Support the Chief Executive with their line management responsibilities, for example by setting up 121s and providing follow-up
- Support the Chief Executives with financial oversight, for example checking expenses claims and payments prior to authorisation.
- Support team meetings and away days, including the documentation of agendas, decisions, and actions
- Act as health and safety officer, with the support of the senior management, to ensure compliance with H&S requirements
- Provide administrative support for the Board of Trustees and its sub committees, working with the Head of Office
- Be proactive in suggesting and implementing administrative improvements to support the team and organisation to work in a more efficient and collaborative way
- Keep track of the team’s development and training needs, providing advice to managers where required.
- Any other duties as required by the line manager and commensurate with the role
All candidates will be assessed against the following criteria, please use specific examples when applying:
Values, attitudes and behaviours
- Passionate about National Voices’ mission and work
- Proactive, flexible and responsive
- Comfortable working in a team, as well as under own initiative
- Able to think and act creatively to solve problems and challenges
- Committed to reducing inequalities and understanding diversity
- Excellent people skills, working with very senior stakeholders as well as the NV team
- Leadership, drive, and an ability to get things done
Skills and abilities
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Highly organised and able to react quickly to a fast-paced workload in a busy environment
- Experience of diary management
- Excellent IT skills with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Able to build relationships at all levels with the team, external stakeholders, National Voices members, service users and volunteers
- Proactive and able to anticipate, plan and prepare in advance of requests
- Experience of using a CRM (customer relationship management) system would be an advantage.
Experience, knowledge and understanding
- At least 1 year’s experience supporting an in-demand chief executive, director, senior manager or similar in a challenging environment
- An understanding of health and social care, and/or the voluntary sector would be an advantage.
Please complete the National Voices application form explaining why you are suitable for the role, with particular reference to the values, skills and experience identified in the person specification.
For the email address to send application to please see guidance in JOb pack and person specification below.
Please specify any access or other requirements of which we need to be aware for the interview.
The deadline for applications is end of day on Sunday 01 November 2020.
Initial virtual interviews will take place w/c 09 November.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.