Development Group generates philanthropic and sponsorship income to help us create a Natural History Museum for the future - investing in capital development, attaining vital acquisitions for the collection, transforming our galleries, developing innovative exhibitions and undertaking ground-breaking scientific research on issues that affect us all.
The NHM is looking for an ambitious and self-motivated individual for the role of Philanthropy Manager (Trusts & Foundations). The role will be key in making our strategic priorities working closely with senior stakeholders in order to cultivate and maintain relationships with new and existing funders. With opportunities to fundraise towards a diverse range of core and capital projects.
Working alongside a friendly and highly successful Philanthropy team, reporting into the Senior Philanthropy Manager, the role will support the development of the T&F strategy, build relationships with a portfolio of potential and existing funders, engaging with them through phone calls, meetings, written correspondence, events and by creating engaging proposals.
The role will provide substantial opportunity for professional development within a world-leading cultural organisation. The salary for this role is circa £35k, meaning if the successful candidate is able to demonstrate exceptional skills and experience there is an option for a high salary.
- Lead the application process for your portfolio of trusts and foundations, and some statutory organisations, working closely with colleagues across the organisation to collate all necessary information, and compiling final applications with detailed budgets and supporting material.
- Research and identify funding opportunities for revenue funding across all areas of the NHM's activity and develop programme ideas in line with funders' interests, and craft compelling proposals.
- Manage the trusts and foundations income stream with support from the Head of Philanthropy and Senior Philanthropy Manager (T&F) to achieve annual fundraising targets.
Strategy and Stewardship
- Work closely with the Philanthropy team to implement the trusts and foundations strategy and contribute to the wider Development strategy.
- Develop relationships with key representatives from funding bodies, utilising relevant NHM staff and Board members in this process where needed.
- Ensure that all required grant reporting is delivered to the highest standards, supporting the development of robust evaluation processes with colleagues.
- Manage the involvement of trust and foundation supporters in supported projects, including organising projects visits, review meetings, and invitations to wider NHM activity.
Finance and Administration
- Monitor incoming grant payments with the Finance Department and relevant colleagues across the organisation and ensure that grants are spent in line with funding agreements.
- Ensure all communication with funders is recorded on the Raiser's Edge database.
- Provide shared line management of the Philanthropy Executive (T&F), including setting key objectives, ensuring an appropriate workload, monitoring and managing performance, and identifying training and development opportunities.
- Stay informed of key developments within the sector by monitoring government and third-sector policies and relevant publications.
- Attend evening and occasional weekend concerts and events, as required within the nature of the post, and assist with other duties that may be reasonably required.
- A demonstrable track-record in securing and managing grants from trusts and foundations, including research, crafting compelling proposals, and effective stewardship.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with an ability to convey detailed information in a concise and engaging manner.
- Ability to establish productive relationships with a variety of funders, prospects and colleagues.
- Ability to work proactively and constructively with colleagues to develop high-quality project proposals.
- Ability to act as an ambassador for the NHM amongst a range of high-profile external contacts.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Ability to prioritise and meet regular deadlines whilst working under pressure.
- Experience of devising and implementing a trust and foundations fundraising strategy.
- Experience of setting income budgets and forecasts.
- Experience of line managing another member of staff.
Knowledge of and an interest in natural history, science and/or cultural sector