Seeking a Senior Communications Officer / Manager to increase the impact of our work and support the delivery of the communications strategy. This role would suit someone with a background in a variety of communication channels and experience in communications strategy delivery.
New Local is a think tank and network of councils and other organisations working to energise local government and improve public services. At the heart of our work is ‘community power’ - the belief that people should be given the means to transform the places where they live and the services they use. We believe this is key to sustainable, fairer public services and a better society for all.
We publish research on community power. We campaign for change. And we work directly with public and voluntary sector bodies to help them hand more power and resource over to communities.
Over the last two years, we’ve changed our name, renewed our brand and launched a new website. At the same time, we’ve seen our community power message take a greater hold, and our network grow in size and enthusiasm.
We’re seeking a Senior Communications Officer who can help us further increase the impact of our work. They will play a key role in supporting the Director of Communications to deliver the New Local communications strategy as our work grows.
Your job will include:
- Digital management: Day-to-day content planning and website upkeep, taking a leading role in our website’s success.
- Social media: Running New Local’s channels to increase engagement and reach influential stakeholders.
- External marketing: Promoting our membership and consultancy offer in creative and engaging ways, to both new and existing connections.
- Content: Producing, planning and editing content - from blogs and reports to videos and podcasts.
- Planning: Working cross-team to coordinate our communications and make sure our messages are heard by the right people at the right time.
- Media relations: Taking a proactive and reactive approach to promoting New Local’s work and interests with national, regional and specialist press.
- Brand management: Acting as a ‘brand ambassador’ for New Local- ensuring that our messaging is understood and conveyed by all staff, and helping to develop and disseminate our brand identity
- And more:
- Supporting the planning and delivery of events
- Working closely with researchers on research outputs
- Planning, drafting and sending newsletters via CRM system
And taking on other tasks to support the communications strategy and our work as a whole.
Location: New Local operates a highly flexible approach to work location and welcomes applications from across the UK. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- A great communicator, who can distil complex ideas and bring people together around a cause - verbally, visually and in writing.
- A creative thinker, who has an eye for design and can bring fresh approaches to any challenge.
- Digitally savvy, with experience creating high levels of engagement online and through social media.
- A keen planner, whose strategic understanding and attention-to-detail is proven to keep projects timely and impactful.
- A warm connector, with experience of building strong, supportive relationships inside and outside teams, ideally with press and local/national government.
- Someone with quick judgement, who flourishes in an environment of autonomous working and speedy decision making, and can be trusted to make the right calls.
- Driven by achieving change, both in terms of improving our own work and achieving New Local’s broader political and societal goals.
- Flexible and collaborative, generous in offering expertise and keen to work adaptably and openly with other members of New Local’s staff.
New Local was founded in 1996 as New Local Government Network. Today, we’re a close team of around 15. The Senior Communications Officer role will report to the Director of Communications, and work alongside the Design Production Coordinator. They will work closely with all other members of staff, including the Research Team, Network and Events Team and Practice Team.
In addition to the advertised salary, we offer:
- A minimum of 27 days’ holiday a year and ten days holiday over Christmas/New Year
- Highly flexible working and work location arrangements
- Regular training opportunities
- A number of other benefits listed in the job description.
For further details of the role and benefits on offer, please refer to the attachments. Full information about the role including the Senior Communications Officer Job Description and Person Specification can also be found on the jobs page of the New Local website.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.