Working in close partnership with the Head of Open and Pre-open Schools, you will be responsible for developing and delivering the Delivery Team’s sales and business development strategy, generating leads for NSN’s Delivery Programme. This is an exciting opportunity to help define a business development plan, when NSN is looking to rapidly expand the support available to an ever-increasing number of free schools.
We are looking for a purposeful and enterprising person who can offer clear, productised, high-impact solutions to free school leaders’ most pressing concerns.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and be confident dealing with senior school and trust executives. They will have experience in sales and development, be honest, open-minded and excited by challenge.
We want answers to the following questions:
- Who is our best client?
- Where can we find more of them?
- What is the best way to reach them?
- What is our most successful lead conversion approach?
The successful candidate will be joining a growing team who have joined the organisation from a variety of backgrounds.
- Design and implement a sales and development strategy for NSN’s pre-opening Delivery Programme;
- Generate new clients for NSN’s Delivery Programme;
- Develop strong relationships and partnerships between NSN and free schools;
- Research funding opportunities;
- Represent NSN and the Delivery Team when meeting potential clients and partners;
- Design events and networking opportunities for free school leaders;
- Develop and evaluate proposals for commercial services (as appropriate);
- Support with impact reporting to NSN trustees and charitable donors (as appropriate); and,
- Help develop the strategy of the Delivery Team the wider functions of New Schools Network.
As part of a small organisation, you will have the opportunity to gain experience across NSN’s work and be involved in one of the most exciting and fast-moving areas of public policy.
Skills and experience
Candidates must be able to demonstrate strong and well developed skills in the following areas:
- At least two years’ experience in a client-facing role (any sector/industry);
- A holistic approach to developing relationships, utilising skills from across the organisation and building proposals that meet schools’ needs;
- The ability to master a complicated brief quickly;
- Outstanding communication skills, including delivering presentations;
- Excellent organisational skills, including a mastery of detail;
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team;
- High degree of computer literacy, including systems management and research skills (to identify/profile prospective clients);
- The ability to spot emerging problems facing new and growing schools and multi-academy trusts and the initiative to come up with solutions;
- Good interpersonal and networking skills, confidence to meet with senior corporate figures and speak to them about our work;
- Discretion and responsibility when handling sensitive information.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following traits and attributes:
- Passion for education
- Support of the free school policy
- The desire to work collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal communication
- The ability to solve problems by designing creative solutions
Expertise or experience in any of the following will be an advantage:
- Experience of working in a school or in a role that required interaction with school leaders and/or marketing to schools/education sector;
- Experience in a business development role either in or outside of the education sector;
- An understanding of the curriculum, funding and regulatory challenges facing school leaders;
- Governance of schools or multi-academy trusts;
- Complicated site and planning issues facing schools or similar institutions, such as issues with contractors, local residents, traffic and environmental health;
- Experience in organising and managing events.
Central London, at our riverside offices near Westminster. The role will require travel outside of London, including occasional overnight stays.
Base salary of £26,500-£30,000 (dependent on experience).
The package contains performance related bonus. Where sales targets are achieved, this will provide a minimum total OTE of £28,180-31,680.
Candidates must be available for a first interview on:
• Wednesday 3rd July, and/or
• Friday 5th July
Successful candidates will be invited for a second interview on:
• Thursday 11th July
Prior to invitation to interview, we may invite you to a short telephone screening.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send us with your CV and a covering letter, explaining why you are the right person for this job. We want to know why you want to work at NSN, how you like to work, and what you’ve learnt from previous experiences that mean you will add value to our organisation and thrive at NSN. Please also include details of your current salary and notice period.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.