Are you interested in helping senior leaders to achieve their full potential? Do you believe in building links between education and business to improve schools?
New Schools Network (NSN) is looking for a Mentor Coordinator, primarily working for the Academy Ambassadors programme but also across NSN to recruit mentors from the business community and coordinating the matching of them to senior leaders in schools. We are looking for someone with experience of working with senior managers and leaders in learning and development, volunteer management or coaching and mentoring. The role is new and comes with autonomy – as this is an area of expansion for the organization, there will be further opportunity to develop.
With existing partnerships such as HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, KPMG and PwC, the Academy Ambassadors programme has an outstanding reputation and support at the highest levels of business and politics. The mentoring programme is a new initiative, which will initially match senior business leaders with Chief Executives at multi-academy trusts and in time will develop to provide broader mentoring to other educators.
Results-focused, ambitious and resilient, you will know how to work with a team to make the most of everyone’s input in a mission-driven charity. This role will report initially directly into the Head of Academy Ambassadors Programme. As part of a small, dedicated team, you will have the opportunity to gain experience of a range of disciplines. You will be involved in a fast moving area of public policy, and gain access to an enviable network of leaders in business and in education.
New Schools Network (NSN) is a dynamic, growing charity that aims to improve the quality of education – particularly for the most deprived – by increasing the number of good free schools within the state sector.
By offering advice, guidance and support, the charity has been instrumental in helping hundreds of groups of parents, teachers, charities and schools to establish new schools. In recent years, NSN has expanded its activities to support open schools.
Academy Ambassadors is a specific programme within NSN that supports multi academy trusts (MATs) in England by identifying senior business leaders as voluntary Non-Executive Director (NED) roles for their trust boards. Academy Ambassadors provide a free service to multi-academy trusts and since 2013 the not-for-profit programme funded by the Department for Education has helped trusts to fill over 1300 board roles.
The new mentoring programme is a DfE grant-funded initiative to support the CEOs of multi-academy trusts. These EOs are often experts in education leadership but face difficult and new challenges that are commonplace in the world of business. The aim of mentoring MAT CEOs is to support them to improve their leadership and to improve educational standards for all students.
The Mentoring Coordinator will deliver the following components of the project:
- Recruit business leaders to be volunteer mentors from within Academy Ambassadors alumni and from new corporate partnerships.
- Design and manage communications to corporate partners and mentors about the mentoring programme.
- Achieve challenging, realistic KPIs on the number of mentors recruited and the number of mentee-mentor matches made.
- Create and manage online content to recruit and to support mentors and mentees.
- Manage the support package for mentors and mentees – creating a Mentoring Handbook and Prospectus’ for mentees and mentors.
- Become New Schools Network’s ‘centre of excellence’ on managing mentoring by learning from best-practice elsewhere and bringing that in-house.
- Support impact evaluation, working with an external research company to evaluate the impact of the programme and create the business case for future investment.
- Lead business development for New Schools Network on areas of mentoring beyond the initial MAT CEO programme.
- Work with the Corporate Partnership Manager to provide excellent long-term support and feedback to existing corporate partners to ensure they continue their support and develop into new areas of work within New Schools Network.
- Work with the Corporate Partnerships Manager to create new corporate and network partnerships, with a focus on the FTSE 250.
- Provide broader support across Academy Ambassadors and the wider New Schools Network charity – being flexible to support other events, communications and content creation.
Dependent upon experience there may be the opportunity to work across New Schools Network as it develops its training and development offer to school and academy trust leaders.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate the following key skills:
- Experience in confidently engaging with senior professionals and corporate partners across a variety of sectors or functions.
- Performance-focus in order to deliver sufficient recruitment of mentors and mentors to achieve key targets.
- Emotional intelligence to lead the matching of mentors to mentees in a way that takes account of the individual needs of senior leaders.
- Client and account management skills to deliver a great service and feedback to corporate partners and to win new corporate partners.
- Excellent written communication skills, including proposals.
- Be a confident networker.
- Be self-motivating and enjoy inspiring others to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Be adaptable, pragmatic with personal flexibility to adjust swiftly to changing external circumstances without losing long-term focus on outcomes.
Expertise or experience in any of the following will be an advantage
- Business or executive coaching.
For further insights please visit our website:
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.