New Wine is seeking a Head of Finance, based in London, to lead the financial direction of the charity and oversee all aspects of its financial management.
Primary Purpose of the Role
As a member of the New Wine staff senior management team, the Head of Finance embeds a culture of strong financial management, effective controls and efficient financial processes within the organisation. You will be expected to provide critical financial information, analysis and insights and provide advice and support on financial and strategic issues and emerging opportunities and risks to the Director of Operations, the National Leadership Team and the Board of Trustees.
The Head of Finance will have delegated management responsibility and accountability for all financial elements of New Wine Trust and Resources business, including budgeting, forecasting, reporting, accounting and cash management.
The Head of Finance will have experience of managing the financial activities of a not-for-profit organisation and will be empowered to set up and embed the right financial systems, processes and controls for an organisation that is poised for growth.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the role will:
- Lead on strategic financial planning and financial management at New Wine.
- Ensure financial planning and objectives feed into the National Leadership Team’s (NLT) objective setting and serve the overarching goals and objectives of the organisation.
- Develop and maintain effective financial functions including budgeting, management accounts, preparation of annual statutory accounts and preparation of financial reports to NLT and to the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure the smooth running of all accounting, financial transactions and evidence record keeping, managing payroll, managing foreign currency exchange policy and investments.
- Monitor financial performance, oversee reporting and cash flow management functions and systems.
- Contribute, as a member of the staff Senior Management Team, providing critical financial information, analysis, advice and support on financial issues and emerging opportunities to the Director of Operations, NLT and the Board of Trustees.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations to jointly develop core processes across the organisation.
- Oversee legal aspects of New Wine’s financial and fundraising work, including ongoing compliance with UK finance regulation, grant agreements, liaison with the Charity Commission, Companies House and HMRC.
- Lead on financial risk management including the implementation of appropriate risk management strategies such as financial controls, fraud prevention and systems to ensure value for money through regular reviews of the secretariat’s financial operating policies and guidelines and providing oversight and support in implementation of these systems.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the organisation’s donors, auditors, advisors, payroll provider, bank manager, office landlord and other relevant partners.
- Manage the production of the annual report and financial statements, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, SORP and accounting standards.
- Manage the external audit process and implementation of the audit findings.
- Collaborate with the Head of Business Development on procurement systems and implementation looking for efficiencies and value for money.
- Set goals and objectives and manage the performance and development of the finance team.
- Play a key role in developing the financial skills of heads of teams (including staff, leadership and volunteer team leaders) and to ensure that they have ownership of their budgets and forecasts.
- Commit to the mission and vision of New Wine, putting these at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of New Wine in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Comply with New Wine policies and processes, with particular note for Health & Safety, safeguarding, the staff code of conduct and GDPR.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Commit to praying for the ministry of New Wine on a regular basis
- Contribute to weekly staff meetings and worship times at Head Office
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Job Title: Head of Finance
Contract Status: Permanent.
Full-time (part-time hours not considered)
Working Hours: 35 hours per week (7 hours per day, Monday to Friday)
Unpaid lunch break of up to 60 minutes per day. Additional hours when preparing for and working away at events
Full time working at our two weeks ‘United’ event (July/Aug) in Peterborough is essential (including set-up and pack-down)
Annual Leave: 25 days per annum
+ Statutory Bank Holidays
+ Additional discretionary days (office closure during Christmas and New Year).
Salary: Up to £45,000, depending on experience.
Workplace Pension: Employer’s contribution of 10% of salary
Group Life Assurance: Lump sum benefit of 2 times salary payable to next of kin, subject to qualifying criteria
Probationary period: 6 months, with interim review at 3 months
Notice period: 2 weeks, increasing to 3 months on satisfactory completion of
Head of Finance
Finance team and Staff Senior Management Team
Director of Operations
Head Office, Ealing London.
Primary Purpose of the Role
As a member of the New Wine staff senior management team, the Head of Finance embeds a culture of strong financial management, effective controls and efficient financial processes within the organisation. You will be expected to provide and present critical financial information, analysis and insights and provide advice and support on financial and strategic issues and emerging opportunities and risks to the Director of Operations, the National Leadership Team and the Board of Trustees.
The Head of Finance will have delegated management responsibility and accountability for all financial elements of New Wine Trust and New Wine Resources business, including budgeting, forecasting, reporting, accounting and cash management.
Position in the Organisation
Reporting to the Director of Operations, member of the staff Senior Management Team.
Line manage the Finance Manager; lead the Finance Team.
·Applicants for a job with New Wine will need to demonstrate that they have the necessary skills, experience and attributes relevant to this advertised vacancy. All applicants should be committed to New Wine’s mission and values.
·This post is subject to an occupational requirement that the holder be a practising Christian under Part 1 of Schedule 9 to the Equality Act 2010.
- Applications must be on the New Wine Application form, CVs will not be accepted
- The closing date for applications is 31 August 2019