These are exciting times for the charity, and we now have an excellent opportunity for a self-starting and flexible professional to join the Support and Governance Team, as a Paralegal.
Location: Working from home, flexibility will be required for occasional onsite working in Devon for the purposes of archiving and deed retrieval, anticipated to be no more than 1-2 days per week.
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: £26,695 per annum
Benefits: Generous annual leave, pension scheme, Healthshield plan, confidential counselling service, subsidised restaurant, free parking, enhanced maternity/paternity benefits, Life Assurance Scheme, 31 day’s holiday per year, inclusive of the 8 statutory public holidays. This increases by one day each year until a maximum of 34 days is reached.
Closing Date:Sunday 30 January 2022
As Paralegal, you will provide legal support and practical advice to the Head of Legal and Governance, In-House Counsel and the wider organisation on multifarious legal matters and compliance issues arising from the Charity’s daily business and operations. This is a multi-faceted and vital role which calls for an individual who can bring a pro-active and methodical approach to the identification and resolution of legal and governance issues, and excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Acting as a first point of contact and filter for answering incoming legal enquiries
- Working closely with all business functions across the Charity to provide practical advice and support on legal matters and compliance issues arising from the Charity’s daily business and operations, ensuring good governance and legal compliance.
- Building and maintaining successful professional partnerships with relevant stakeholders
- Enhance the credibility of the legal and governance function, you will assist with the project management of a variety of UK and international legal projects, including liaison with overseas teams, and will Instruct and manage external legal counsel on a wide variety of matters pertinent to the charity.
- Assisting with the drafting, management, development and delivery of legal, governance and compliance policies, procedures, processes and training materials, and conducting legal research on UK and international matters to identify, assess and advise on legal and compliance issues or new and emerging law which could impact the Charity.
A law degree, together with the ability to understand and interpret and to communicate complex legal information transparently and effectively, is essential, as are a high standard of literacy and numeracy, an excellent eye for detail and the ability to maintain a stringent level of accuracy whilst meeting a number of competing priorities and time frames. Experience of working in the not-for-profit sector and a working knowledge of legal systems are desirable.
With amazing benefits and opportunities to develop your career, you will be part of an evolving program of change taking place within a leading charity, and you will really make a difference in this fulfilling and rewarding role. In addition, you will be offered a working environment second to none. Based in Sidmouth in East Devon – an area of outstanding natural beauty – our offices are located in a glorious setting overlooking the sea, the staff wellbeing programme and initiatives have received a royal seal of approval (recently highly commended in the 2021 Princess Anne Training Awards for the response to Covid-19), and the hundreds of resident donkeys – some literally a few yards from your office – will always be pleased to see you!
If you feel you have the qualifications, skills and experience to fulfil this varied, rewarding and vital role, we would love to hear from you. To apply, please complete the on-line application form, which should include your uploaded curriculum vitae
About the Organisation
The Sanctuary is one of the UK’s largest international animal welfare charities, currently supporting projects in over 35 countries worldwide, working for a world where donkeys and mules live free from suffering and their contribution to humanity is fully valued.
“The Sanctuary is a positive place to work with friendly staff and a wonderful charity. With amazing work throughout the world, once you join you never want to leave!”
The charity is a Disability Confident Employer, committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people (children and adults) and expects all staff and volunteers to undertake this commitment. Applicants will be subject to safer recruitment processes, including an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check where required for the post.
You may also have experience in areas such as Paralegal, Paralegal Lawyer, Lending Paralegal, Assistant Paralegal, Junior Paralegal, Senior Paralegal, Interim Paralegal, Charity Paralegal, Solicitor, Company Paralegal, Legal.