About the role
As External Affairs Officer you will:
- Support the organisation in the operational delivery of its media relations work, helping us to maintain a high profile and an excellent reputation with journalists and other key partners.
- Liaise directly with journalists from across all forms of media as well as the press offices of our key national stakeholders, helping us to maintain strong connections that we can use to stay informed on developments and to positively position the organisation and our membership.
- Play an active role in engaging our external audiences via social media and contribute to a range of communications plans, which are focused on giving voice to the experiences of our members and exerting influence on decision-makers from across our stakeholders, including Government and the Arm’s Length Bodies.
- Contribute to preparing and issuing a range of proactive stories, as well as respond to emerging events, including enquiries from journalists and statements about breaking news.
- Support the monitoring of the news agenda and key other developments, ensuring that updates are shared internally in a timely manner and lines to take are prepared, in accordance with our agreed policy positions.
- Contribute to briefing our senior spokespeople, including our chief executive, chair and directors ahead of their interviews with the media, alongside other colleagues.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Experience in a media relations role, ideally with an understanding of the NHS and health and care sector in England
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, political awareness and interest in the health policy landscape and the ability to respond to a fast-paced media environment
- Strong and ongoing relationships, or are keen to develop them, with broadcast, print and online media across health to speak up for, champion and advocate on behalf of our members
- Experience in contributing to and advising on breaking media stories and feeding into wider communications plans and campaigns that are designed to influence Government and Parliament, or are keen to learn
- Strong organisational skills, the desire to work in a busy press and external affairs office and participate in an on-call rota outside of standard ‘office hours’ as part of an on-call rota.
- Experience juggling proactive and reactive competing media bids simultaneously and to a high standard.
- A commitment to teamwork, integrated communications, and continuous improvement.
The NHS Confederation is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for our staff. A place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of inclusive employment policies including family friendly policies and flexible working and we have range of channels to support staff from different backgrounds including our staff networks and a staff forum.
The NHS Confederation is committed to being a flexible employer. We understand the value and benefit to our employees being able to work flexibly and our agile working principles are designed to empower our people to work with optimal flexibility and minimal constraints to support a work life balance and take care of employee health and wellbeing.
You will receive an excellent benefits package, including 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice schemes and travel season ticket loans.
Please read the job description and complete the application form on website. Please note we do not accept CVs.
Application deadline: 24th October 2021
Interview date: TBC
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.