Title: Cook and Catering Supervisor
Hours 7am-3pm – Monday to Friday
Bank Holidays must be covered in discussion with the Catering Team and Volunteers
25 days plus Bank Holidays
(pro rata for part time staff)
NOAH Welfare Centre, 141 Park St, Luton LU1 3HG
Welfare Centre Manager
As contained in staff contract and NOAH Enterprise’ s Statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Handbook
NOAH Enterprise has been delivering services to vulnerable people throughout Bedfordshire since 1987. Our drop-in welfare centre operates with values of care compassion and commitment and is a bastion of hope and life support for those sleeping rough where 60 people have a midday meal and 20 people have a cooked breakfast every day of the year.
The aim of the role is to ensure the operation of an efficient and effective catering service by maximising use of donated food to provide high quality, nutritious meals whilst maintaining the highest possible standards of food hygiene and health & safety in all food preparation and storage areas.
The post holder will be responsible for the ordering and stock management of all food and catering supplies.
You will have experience of leading a busy kitchen and have excellent time-management, prioritisation, inter-personal, and administrative skills.
You will have the ability to build relationships with people from many nationalities and disadvantaged backgrounds and a commitment to help those in need.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the daily planning of all meals ensuring that they are nutritionally balanced, always seeking to provide a varied and appetising menu. This will include a vegetarian option whilst also taking into account the dietary requirements as far as practical of the diverse ethnic and religious mix of service users
- Responsible for the physical storage and daily stock management of all food and kitchen produce, whilst ensuring the efficient and safe usage of food donations.
- Ensure that all meals are cooked and served to the highest standard
- It is the post holder’s responsibility to ensure that they maintain an up to date knowledge of issues surrounding food preparation and the provision of meals and to bring important changes to the attention of the Welfare Centre Manager.
- Responsible for ensuring all kitchen staff are trained to the required standard including Food Hygiene Safety
- Kitchen hygiene standards must be kept in line with statutory food hygiene regulations and NOAH’s policies.
- Ensure that all food storage is in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations and is appropriate to food type
- All donated food to be received and stored at appropriate temperatures ensuring compliance with statutory food storage regulations
- Ensure that freezer/fridge temperatures comply with Environmental Health regulations at all times and that a written record of this compliance is kept for inspection
- Supervise all kitchen staff and volunteers, ensuring compliance with all health and safety standards including those relating to the wearing of hygiene-protective clothing
- Carry out monthly food hygiene and health and safety audits with the Welfare Centre Manager
- Ensure that a schedule for the regular deep clean of the kitchen and food storage areas is in place and undertaken to timetabled frequency
- Ensure that meals for the Soup Kitchen and Weekend service are ready in advance for the Soup Kitchen Volunteers and Weekend Kitchen Assistant to prepare and serve
- Organise, lead, mentor and motivate the kitchen staff team including coordinating closely with the Weekend Kitchen Assistant and arranging handovers between Friday>Saturday and Sunday>Monday.
- Assist the volunteer co-ordinator with the organising and monitoring of the staff rota for kitchen staff and volunteers including corporate teams, ensuring workload and tasks are allocated fairly
- Manage and oversee the serving of the main midday meal
- Prepare the soup and sandwich ingredients for the evening soup kitchen
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment is maintained to the manufacturers’ specification and is safe, reporting any issues promptly to the Welfare Centre Manager
- Manage the financial budget to ensure the catering service is cost effective. Handle cash effectively and ensure all monies are properly accounted for.
- Advise Day Centre staff of any unacceptable service user behaviour in either the dining room or kitchen areas
- Plan and deliver life skills/cooking training in liaison with the Head of Training and Employment
- Provide cover for staff absence, including occasional weekends when required
All duties to be carried out in accordance with the policies and procedures of NOAH Enterprise
All duties to be carried out in accordance with the Equal Opportunities policy of NOAH Enterprise
Attend any meetings, seminars, training sessions as requested both on and off NOAH Enterprise premises
The post holder may from time to time be asked to undertake other duties as specified by the Chief Executive or Head of Welfare Services. Permanent changes to the job description will only be made in negotiation with the post holder
The work of NOAH Enterprise is founded upon a Christian ethos and it is expected that the post holder will respect this ethos
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.