Do you love helping people? Do you have experience of working in Health and Social Care? We would love to hear from you if you would like to make a real difference to the lives of older isolated people in Hertfordshire.
Reach Out is a project that aims to reduce loneliness in those who have recently been discharged from hospital, by linking them up with a trained volunteer in their neighbourhood who can visit them to help them to feel less lonely and isolated.
Our aim is to ensure those we support for have an enjoyable life and increase their confidence and independence. This role will enable you to use your excellent communication and listening skills to recruit, support, develop and inspire a team of volunteers to provide companionship and practical support to older people who are home from hospital and who are socially isolated.
The role is predominantly home-based during COVID-19. Covering the South and West Hertfordshire catchment area from Watford General Hospital. The role will include county-wide travel including periodic visits to the main office in Letchworth Garden City.
N.B ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A COVER LETTER OUTLING YOUR SUITABILITY FOR THE ROLE ACCORDING TO THE JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION BELOW.
Purpose of the Post
To co-ordinate the matching of referred clients who have recently been discharged from hospital with local trained volunteers who can offer short term companionship and practical support to help them feel less lonely and isolated.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To support the Project Manager with the development of the Reach Out Project.
- To recruit, interview and process all potential volunteer applications
- To organise and assist with the delivery of regular training sessions for new volunteer recruits including updating and preparing induction materials.
- To organise and deliver training for volunteers. (Via Zoom or other online meeting platforms during COVID-19)
- To manage all volunteers, ensuring they are retained and recognised
- To contact all referred clients and complete risk assessments and assess support needs. To build relationships with clients, referring agents and other professionals involved in clients’ support where appropriate.
- In future, to arrange visits to clients in their own homes. This will be subject to lockdown restrictions and government guidance around self-isolation for older people.
- Match /allocate volunteers to individual clients, having regard to their location, availability, experience, and compatibility etc
- To record sensitive information securely and update as required
- To carry out follow up monitoring calls and visit with users of the service
- Keep in regular contact with volunteers to ensure they are motivated, safe and effective and have a positive volunteering experience
- Receive, assess, and respond to service requests promptly, courteously and effectively.
- To work in partnership with the Hospital Discharge and Herts Help Community Navigators to identify clients
- Be responsible and accountable for the delivery of a high-quality service
- To increase the accessibility of the information about the project and its development
- Ensure that the volunteer recruitment software is kept up to date
- Understand and comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act ensuring confidentiality of information in respect of records maintained and tasks undertaken.
- To undertake administration associated with the project
- Promote good practice in all areas of the project
- Maintain effective working partnerships with public sector agencies, other voluntary organisations and local businesses. Also, where appropriate, establishing new links.
- Support the project manager to create monthly statistical data and produce quarterly monitoring reports
- To put up displays promoting the initiative throughout the local area e.g. supermarkets, libraries etc
- To organise outreach recruitment events (subject to social distancing) and actively seek publicity through the local media
- To give talks and presentations to promote the benefits of Reach Out to local professionals, groups and businesses in the local community
- To help raise the public awareness of the Reach Out project together with the #TeamHerts Volunteering Marketing Manager
- Represent NHCVS at events and meetings as required. This will include online meetings, networks and forums.
- To undertake other work that may arise on a day to day basis to support the objectives of NHCVS, as required by the line manager.
- To undertake training as required.
- The post holder must hold a full, clean driving licence and insure their own vehicle for work.
Skills and Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent in Maths/English
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to form strong positive relationships with people across a diverse range of backgrounds
Ability to empower others and encourage participation
Ability to plan and prioritise workload and meet deadlines
Excellent IT Skills including Microsoft Office, email, internet, Zoom Video Conferencing and social media
Ability to work both in a team and individually
Knowledge and Experience
Understanding the issues and health needs affecting vulnerable and/or older people.
An understanding of safeguarding procedures
Understanding of the value of volunteers and a commitment to maximise their potential
Experience of organising and delivering community-based services/activities to the public
Experience of working with volunteers
Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a wide variety of people
Aptitude and Characteristics
Enthusiasm to support community activities, volunteering and independence for older people and vulnerable adults.
Committed to quality and social inclusion
Ability to prioritise competing activities
Motivates others, ready to listen, friendly and approachable.
Calm under pressure
Car driver with full licence
Use of car for the job
Flexibility on working hours with evening and weekend work required throughout Hertfordshire
Enhanced level DBS check (this will be carried out if an offer is made)
Skills and Qualifications
NVQ or equivalent in Health and Social Care
Experience of giving presentations and public speaking
Knowledge and Experience
Understanding of the Voluntary Sector
Good local knowledge of Hertfordshire Services
Experience of working with convalescing, elderly or isolated people
Experience of recruiting volunteers
Acceptance and sensitivity to the need of professional confidentiality
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.