North Yorkshire Youth is the modern face of a youth association dating back to 1941, and today our mission remains that of our founders – to provide learning and personal development opportunities for children and young people.
We’re excited to be recruiting two full-time Youth Mentors who will be part of the Achieve Programme, supporting young people to achieve their potential, funded by Anglo American and the Woodsmith Foundation.
We’re looking for enthusiastic, committed, reliable and experienced Youth Mentors who will undertake significant one-to-one work, as well as group facilitation, with a specific cohort of young people over two years. This is a brilliant opportunity to support real and positive change to the lives of some of Redcar’s most vulnerable young people.
Most of your time will be based in school with some meetings at out headquarters in Thirsk and at the funding provider headquarters in Scarborough.
We’ll look to you to:
- Make contact and establish positive relationships with young people.
- Support young people to identify and respond to their social, recreational, educational and emotional needs.
- Build self-esteem and self confidence in young people.
- Encourage young people to realise their aspirations and to recognise personal strengths and abilities.
- Facilitate young people’s learning and their personal and social development.
- Respond to individual and group needs.
- Encourage a positive group atmosphere with peer support.
- Build resilience and maintain progression for young people.
- Provide one-to-one support for young people.
- Signpost young people appropriately to opportunities, activities, and support.
- Work closely with parents/carers to increase positive outcomes for young people.
The amazing staff team at NYY are at the heart of everything we do. Their passion, enthusiasm, commitment and hard work mean we can support as many young people as we do in a way which meets their needs. If you have the skills we’re looking for and want to make a real difference to young peoples’ lives, we want you to join our team!
For more information and to download an application form, please click the apply button to be taken to our vacancies page.
Closing date: 5.00pm on Wednesday, 6th December 2023.
As an organisation working with children and young people we have a duty to check that applicants, members of staff and volunteers are suitable for the position, and do not pose a risk to the safety of the people they are working with. Appointments are subject to enhanced DBS clearance and satisfactory employment references.