Could you spare about 30 minutes each week to chat to a lonely person over the phone?
We need telephone befrienders all over the UK for our award-winning Chatterbox service.
We give full training - either in our Shrewsbury office or via Skype, and you will receive a certificate, and ongoing support from our caring team of coordinators.
Loneliness and social isolation can affect us all. Having the opportunity to communicate with someone who will listen and support, or to just have a friendly chat on the phone once a week, can make a huge difference.
Omega volunteers have helped change people’s lives and as a member of our Chatterbox team, you’ll offer one-to-one telephone support by establishing a trusting, supportive relationship with a client. You can work from home, or anywhere you like. Omega volunteers come from all walks of life and all over the UK, but have a small amount of time to spare and want to make a difference.
This role could be for you, if you:
- Are a good listener, empathic, patient and of a caring nature
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Have good verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can show this in practice
- Are committed to inclusion, treating people with dignity and respect
What are the benefits for you:
- Knowing you are making a difference to someone’s life
- Joining the Omega Team and taking action against loneliness and social isolation and helping people in crisis
- An opportunity to enhance your CV or learn new skills
- An opportunity to engage with your community
What support and training will be provided:
- The Omega Chatterbox Induction
- Regular and ongoing support from a Chatterbox Co-ordinator
- Ongoing training and support as the role requires
- Out of pocket expenses are reimbursed and a mobile phone provided if appropriate
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis we have moved all of our training online, so though we're based in Shrewsbury we welcome applications from volunteers all over the UK. Unfortunately due to safeguarding legislation we are unable to accept Chatterbox Befriender applications from under 18s.
If you think this could be for you, then the first step is to let us know! We can then have a chat, tell you more about what we strive to achieve through Chatterbox and you can then decide if you would like to register with us. We really look forward to hearing from you.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.