We are now at the exciting stage where we are looking to recruit a Finance Manager to support our work, and to help the organisation to achieve its ambitious plans for growth. For this home-based role, the successful candidate will help to develop processes and policies to support our plans for growth.
We are seeking a highly motivated, skilled and resourceful individual with professional finance skills at least to Finance Manager level. Ideally we are looking for a candidate with finance experience within charities.
The post-holder is expected to contribute to On Call Africa’s initiatives and development activities at a senior level, while also carrying out day to day reporting requirements. Within the small team all staff are expected to work in a flexible way and tasks that have not been covered in the job description may have to be undertaken.
This hands-on position is a part-time role (3 days per week), based from home, with some travel across the UK. The post has a salary of £34,000 per year pro rata (£20,400).
PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW
Reporting to the Director, you will be responsible for the development of, and day-to-day management, of our financial and accounting needs. The ideal candidate will possess good business acumen, and will be looking for a varied and challenging role in an organisation through which they can make a real impact.
The main responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage On Call Africa’s financial and accounting systems and help the organisation to prepare for significant growth;
- Providing efficient and effective management and financial accounting, forecasting, modelling and financial analysis which promotes the best use of resources using Value for Money principles;
- Develop financial policies to support best practice, and provide oversight of the organisations financial function in the UK and Zambia;
- Maintain and strengthen internal financial controls are in place;
- Produce / manage month end financial reconciliations to provide assurance on reliability of financial data
- Manage a finance assistant in the UK and matrix manage the work of the finance team in Zambia
- Provide robust financial information that empowers stakeholders to make best decisions for the future financial sustainability of the organisation;
- Managing the day to day financial functions and financial administration of the organisation;
- Preparing quarterly reports and supporting re-forecasting for senior management and trustees.
- The post holder will be responsible for meeting deadlines set and may be required to respond at short notice to requests for information or advice. Priorities may change on a regular basis.
Responsible to: Director
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director to produce robust Budgets, multi-year forecasting, production of timely management accounts including key performance indicators within the monthly timetable
- Produce quarterly financial reports and summaries for the board of trustees
- Production of accurate and clear Draft accounts including clear auditable working papers for review and Audit by adhering to statutory regulations and accounting principles. Support with statutory year end accounts preparation will be provided.
- Work closely with external Auditors to ensure an efficient Audit by providing assurance of key processes, implementation of recommendations, and responding to requests for information within timescales to achieve a clean Audit
- Make continuous improvements in the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of reports
Day to day finance function
- Ensure accurate monthly reporting from relevant staff in Zambia and the UK
- Populate financial systems and ensure accurate reporting of income expenditure
- Monthly reconciliations supported by a strong month end process
- Ensure finance processes and sign off procedures are adhered to in line with financial policies
- Ensure timely payment of invoices, salaries, HMRC and pension payments
- Ensure accurate coding of income and expenditure and account for spending related to restricted funding
- Provide detailed financial reports related to specific projects or grants
- Support any Business projects by providing financial analysis to the project team
Financial Systems & Controls
- Develop and continuously improve robust and effective financial procedures, controls and systems that are properly documented, regularly reviewed and efficiently implemented
- Ensure there are effective processes for the payroll & pensions processing, payment processing and credit collection
- Ensure there are clear processes for managing Cash & Bank transactions
- Ensure all financial processes are clearly captured in the Finance Manuals and updated regularly
- Ensure that relevant stakeholders (finance and non-finance) are trained appropriately on finance requirements
- Ensure compliance with HMRC & other statutory requirements
- Develop, design and implement an effective Internal Audit programme to identify and improve controls and mitigate against key risks to the organisation
- Maintain and contribute to the development and improvement of financial applications and databases,
Knowledge and experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience of working in finance roles within the charity sector
- Experience of developing charity accounting systems
- Experience of developing and implementing financial policies and procedures
- Experience of providing financial reports to a board of trustees
- Experience of managing and motivating others as part of a team and supervise coach and mentor members of the finance team
- Experience of managing and leading improvement projects
- Experience of producing management accounts
- Experience of financial reporting to donors and funders
- Experience of working as part of a remote team
- Experience of working in international development
Qualifications and training
- Undergraduate university level or equivalent professional qualifications/experience in finance and accounting
Skills and abilities
- Excellent financial skills including the ability to produce accurate quality financial information and interpret and present information for non-accountants
- Ability to set and agree clear work programme, set objectives, to work to deadlines and manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to problem solve, work positively with others to deliver results
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Excellent coordination and organisational skills
- Financial management and budgetary control skills
Personal qualities and attributes
- High levels of enthusiasm, self-motivation and a self-managing ‘can do’ attitude
- High levels of determination and willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities
- Collaborative and supportive attitude in a team
- Willing to challenge stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination and bias
- Enjoy using own initiative and being creative
- Effective team leader and team player
- Effective communication skills
- Happy and able to travel across the UK
- Happy and able to work some evenings and occasional weekends
- Willing to carry out any additional work, challenges and responsibilities
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.