One YMCA and its subsidiary the Early Childhood Partnership (ECP) provide a range of social housing, sports, health & wellbeing, children’s services, youthwork and community activities within Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire for the benefit of local people and communities. With a turnover exceeding £15 million and over 400 staff and volunteers, we are committed to making a difference in the local area through the services it delivers and the partner organisations it works with.
This is a pivotal hands-on role specialising in supporting and advising colleagues on complex legal, compliance and regulatory issues including governance, contracts, grant agreements, employment matters, Health and Safety, Charity/Company regulation, GDPR, etc.
This is also the lead role for reviewing and drafting, contracts, terms of agreements and legal correspondence in conjunction with current and potential contracting parties.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team and in collaboration with the Charities’ Trustees, the postholder will also contribute to the development of vision, direction and operational management of the charity as a whole. The postholder will have the credibility to represent the charity externally at senior levels.
The key elements of the post are:
- a) Putting in place and maintaining structures and processes to ensure that One YMCA and its subsidiaries are well advised on and work within legislation, regulatory, governance and contractual requirements
- b) Leading on the procurement of external legal advice/support and taking responsibility for its quality
- c) Leading on identifying new legislation, regulatory, governance and contractual requirements to make sure that the Charities are complying with the most up to date requirements
- d) Leading the process for assessing and evaluating the impact of legislation, regulatory, governance and contractual requirements on the Charities
- e) Identifying and procuring appropriate training to ensure that staff are equipped to work within compliance requirements
- f) Providing assurance to Trustees and the Executive Leadership Team on compliance arrangements
- g) Advising and providing expert support on the resolution of legal and compliance issues
- h) Acting as an ambassador for the Charities, representing us within the wider YMCA Federation, amongst partners and externally as delegated
- i) Articulating coherently and fluently to ensure legal issues are understood by those not legally trained
- j) As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, contributing to the Charities’ overall strategic development, direction and operational management
- k) Working with colleagues to support the gathering of relevant data and insights and translate these into clear action to improve and transform compliance monitoring and reporting.
- l) Developing and fostering a culture that supports our inclusive Christian ethos and Values.