Who we are
Open Doors is a Christian charity that is looking to recruit active, practising Christians to help meet the growing needs of the persecuted church worldwide. Hostility, violence and abuse of Christians around the globe is on the increase. Open Doors works in over 50 countries to ensure that those facing such persecution are not forgotten but can stand strong to serve their communities and give life.
The team’s primary objective is to ensure a positive Supporter Experience by meeting the responsibilities and requirements of the roles within the team and the post holder will assist in doing this by delivering a timely and effective service to both existing and potential supporters of Open Doors UK.
The post holder will, as part of the Supporter Finance department remit, assist in all the tasks associated with the processing of supporter gifts inclusive of Direct Debits, Standing Orders and Bank downloads. The post holder will also be responsible for maintaining effective and timely contact with supporters in order for the department to meet Key Performance Indicators, to provide excellent supporter experience.
About the team
Reporting to the Supporter Services Team Leader, you will work closely with the other members of Supporter Services team and the Finance team.
37.5 hours per week for full time role. Usually between 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday. This position may involve some evening and weekends at conferences and events for which TOIL (time off in lieu) may be claimed.
Responsibilities and requirements:
- enter new supporter information onto the database ensuring consistency and accuracy
- ensure that supporter records are regularly maintained with accurate and up to date information
- accurately and efficiently amend records in accordance with supporter information and requests and any other required amendments
- process donations through the CRM database, to include dealing with reimbursements through payment gateways and updating CRM as required
- assist in the processing and administration of Gift Aid declarations
- assist in the opening of incoming mail
- assist in the processing of incoming gifts to Open Doors and prepare single and regular gifts for batching and data input to the Open Doors database system
- respond, in cooperation with Open Doors colleagues, to supporter requests and queries in a timely and efficient manner
- develop and maintain effective communication with both Supporter Finance colleagues and other departments and respond to needs for assistance where necessary
- assist in the daily banking of cheques and cash
- send acknowledgement letters of donations to supporters
- to be aware of, and adhere to, the HMRC auditing requirements
- to adhere to GDPR Policies and regulations
- the post holder will be required to process core specialisms such as Direct Debits (which includes processing files in the banking system), download Standing Orders, working with the Finance Team reconciling bank accounts, liaising with third party financial agencies as and when required, communicating with the supporter directly regarding individual financial and general inquiries
- to undertake other reasonable departmental tasks as requested by the line manager.
Key Result Areas:
- Providing high quality supporter experience in terms of timely and accurate data entry of donations and supporters’ requests for further information of Open Doors ministry or resources input
- Effective and supportive team-working
The above job description is a guide to the work the job holder may be required to undertake but does not form part of the contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
Applying your Christian faith to this role
Because of the essential Christian context in which the role will be performed, the role is subject to an occupational requirement under the Equality Act that the post-holder be a practising Christian. Each working day will involve collective prayer and worship, together with shared reflections on the work of Jesus Christ. All members of staff at Open Doors are expected to actively participate in this shared time and members of staff take it in turns to lead the act of collective worship.
There will be many ways you will be able to apply your Christian faith and the outworking of your faith to the context of Open Doors. The list below gives some of the expectations of this role but is not exhaustive or intended to limit you:
- contributing to and leading daily devotions (this can be for the whole team or just smaller, departmental groups)
- participating in retreats, days of prayer and fasting, etc.
- committing to private prayer for the work associated with this role, e.g., closest colleagues
- working in such a way so as to reflect biblical principles of leadership and service
- applying biblical principles of godly stewardship to operational responsibilities
- to be open and obedient to God’s voice and direction in relation to any strategic matter and to always seek His will above all else
- to ensure good Christian stewardship to all matters involving money
Limits of Authority
To operate within the ethos and aims of Open Doors, adhering to budget parameters and the Open Doors confidentiality agreement.
Who you are
You will demonstrate the following essential criteria for this role:
- committed Christian who is completely in sympathy with the calling, mission and Core Values of Open Doors
- chemistry with Open Doors staff
- excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a wide cross section of people
- educated to A level or equivalent
- administrative experience within a supporter or customer finance environment
- ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- ability to produce work of a consistently high standard
- experience of using email to communicate and ability to communicate professionally and effectively
- computer literate with knowledge and experience of word processing, spreadsheet and databases
- excellent numeracy skills and financial awareness
- ability to work with an evolving database and process
- able to work effectively under pressure
- responsible and mature outlook
- demonstrates a high level of commitment
- a positive and professional approach both internally and externally
In addition, it would be beneficial for you to demonstrate the following:
- experience of working with a customer or supporter database system
Enhanced disclosure information may be requested from the DBS in the event of a successful application.