Who We Are
Open Doors is a Christian charity that is looking to recruit Christians to help meet the growing needs of the persecuted church worldwide. Hostility, violence, and abuse of Christians around the globe is on the increase. Open Doors works in over 60 countries to ensure that those facing such persecution are not forgotten but can stand strong to serve their communities and give life.
The post holder will work in the Finance Team delivering a timely, accurate, efficient and effective service to colleagues, suppliers, customers and donors. The post holder will be responsible for a completing a range of bank and control account reconciliations, maintaining the fixed asset register, assisting with the interpretation of and production management accounts and assist with other ongoing day to day finance work providing cover for colleagues. The post holder will be expected to use their initiative to resolve queries and provide advice and guidance to colleagues.
The postholder will be expected to work autonomously, be organized and accurate. They will also be required to work to ensure month end, year-end, statutory and regulatory deadlines are met.
This is an ideal role for someone with previous experience in a finance role, or a fully/partly qualified finance professional.
About the Team
Reporting to the Finance Manager, you will work closely with the Finance Assistant, Director of Finance, Supporter Services team and all Open Doors UK & Ireland staff.
15 hours per week. Usually between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Responsible to complete bank reconciliations for a number of different bank accounts including a Euro denominated account using the Sage accounting package. Our donation income is recorded through our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system and then posted into Sage. You will be expected to investigate and resolve any issues and differences working with colleagues from the Supporter Services and other areas across the organisation. The post holder will need to be able to work transactions denominated in a number of different currencies.
- Complete bank reconciliations for sign off by the Finance Manager/Director at the end of each month. It will be your responsibility to ensure any differences are corrected and that the transactions recorded through the bank accounts on Sage are accurate.
- You will be responsible to liaise with Supporter Services to identify the cause of any differences and work with them to minimize recurrence of errors or discrepancies going forward.
Fixed Asset Register
- The postholder will be responsible to maintain and update he fixed asset register.
- The postholder would be expected to work with colleagues from across the organization to identify and record additions, disposals and write offs.
- Responsible for the calculation and recording of depreciation on the fixed asset register and on sage and then reconciling the register to Sage each month.
- Reviewing bank statements to identify income which meets certain criteria.
- Flagging and monitoring different types of receipts reflected on the bank statement and taking or flagging for action where necessary.
- Expenditure and procurement
- Advising on expenditure trends and procurement questions as required.
Accruals and Prepayments
- Responsible for identifying and posting accruals and prepayments each month and reconciling the balance to Sage each month and maintaining supporting paperwork.
- Preparation and distribution of project and other management accounts reports for budget holders each month and reconciling to Sage.
- Reviewing reports and flagging issues to Finance Manager and/or budget holders where necessary.
- Assistance with budget preparation, monitoring and distribution
- Providing advice to budget holders as required.
- Check and approve payment runs as required, these will include payments to suppliers in the UK and overseas, grants and expense claims.
- Undertake a review of trial balance ensuring accuracy and resolving any differences/issues as required.
- Prepare and process month end journals in line with timetable.
- The postholder will be required to complete the intercompany reconciliation on a monthly basis liaising with different ODI colleagues from different countries to resolve queries or issues as required. Transactions will be denominated in multiple currencies.
Control Account Reconciliations
- Responsible for reconciliation of a number of control accounts including payroll related control accounts and travel.
- Year end
- Contributing to the year-end process including compiling information for the financial statements. The postholder will be expected to assist the auditors with any queries they have related to control accounts completed by them.
- Providing support to the travel team including intercompany transactions, invoices, and intercompany recharges.
VAT and other statutory returns
- The post holder will be responsible for drafting the VAT return including identifying transactions requiring to be subject to reverse charge.. The postholder will also be responsible for the submission of other regulatory / statutory returns as necessary.
Assistance with and cover for colleagues
Where colleagues are on leave or where support is needed you will be required to provide support across a number of areas:
Payroll and Pension
- Prepare the payroll for ODUK&I and ODI for approval by the Finance Manager/Finance Director. This will include processing starters and leavers, arranging for payment to staff, submission of pension information to pensions providers, submission of payroll to HMRC, dealing with queries and issuing pay slips.
- Administration of the company pension scheme.
- Processing of expense claims for staff, volunteers and board members.
Supplier invoices and expenses:
- Maintenance of purchase invoice register, processing of supplier invoices and expense claims from purchase order to payment including ensuring authorisation, entry onto Sage and arranging for payment.
- The Postholder will be expected to develop, update and maintain procedure notes and other process documentation as required.
- Arranging for inter account transfers, cash for travel trips, liaising with the bank on queries and providing support to the Finance Manager in administration of the bank accounts.
- Providing administrative support as required
- Any other tasks as required by the Line Manager
The above job description is a guide to the work the job holder may be required to undertake but does not form part of the contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
Applying your Christian Faith to this Role
Because of the essential Christian context in which the role will be performed, the role is subject to an occupational requirement under the Equality Act that the post holder be a practising Christian. Each working day will involve collective prayer and worship, together with shared reflections on the work of Jesus Christ. All members of staff at Open Doors are expected to actively participate in this shared time and members of staff take it in turns to lead the act of collective worship.
There will be many ways you will be able to apply your Christian faith and the outworking of your faith to the context of Open Doors. The list below gives some of the expectations of this role but is not exhaustive or intended to limit you:
- contributing to and leading daily devotions (this can be for the whole team or just smaller, departmental groups)
- participating in retreats, days of prayer and fasting, etc.
- committing to private prayer for the work associated with this role and your closest colleagues
- working in such a way so as to reflect biblical principles of leadership and service
- applying biblical principles of godly stewardship to operational responsibilities
- to be open and obedient to God’s voice and direction in relation to any strategic matter and to always seek His will above all else to apply principles of good Christian stewardship to all matters involving money.
Limits of Authority
To operate within the ethos and aims of Open Doors, adhering to budget parameters and the Open Doors’ confidentiality agreement.