Do you have what it takes to manage the operations of a rapidly growing charity? Are you ambitious, both personally and professionally? Does building organisations and designing systems excite you? If yes, come join an innovative charity that punches well above its weight and play a key role saving the lives of children and mothers in Sierra Leone.
Welbodi Partnership is looking to recruit an Operations Manager to join the team in London to support the development and day to day running of the UK Office. The role will support a range of operations functions, including, financial management, procurement, grant reporting, human resources and communications. This position will work closely with the Freetown Office and occasional travel to Freetown will be necessary. On the job training will be offered and the role comes with real opportunities for progression as the organisation grows.
Welbodi Partnership (WP) is a UK-registered charitable organisation based at the Ola During Children’s Hospital (ODCH) in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Since 2008, Welbodi has worked towards improved paediatric care in the Western Area of Sierra Leone through hospital system development, infrastructural changes, staff training, provision of equipment and community engagement in partnership with ODCH staff, the Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MOHS) and the Sierra Leone Institute of Child Health (SLICH). Our technical expertise, strong relationships with local stakeholders and participatory approach allow us to deliver sustainable, locally led projects. To date, we have worked most closely with the Ola During Children’s Hospital and the Jenner Wright community health clinic, located in the densely populated eastern part of Freetown. During the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak WP expanded its support to the Princess Christian Maternity Hospital (PCMH) and Rokupa Government Hospital (RGH). Welbodi Partnership programmes support the Government of Sierra Leone’s (GoSL) aims in maintaining resilient zero and rapidly reducing maternal and child health in the country and are aligned with the pillars outlined in the Health Sector Recovery Framework.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE:
- Managing bookkeeping for the UK office
- Ensuring accurate and up to date transaction records are kept
- Transferring transaction data to project trackers
- Provide input to budgeting process
- Mange all UK procurement, including generating purchase orders and comparative bid analyses’
- Arrange shipping to Freetown and customs clearance
- Assisting with grant management including managing reporting deadlines and internal monitoring of grant expenditure;
- liaising with donors and act as a UK point of contact
- Compiling donor financial reports
- To assist with the development of HR policies and procedures
- To manage first stage induction process for new hires
- Overseeing the social media presence of the organisation, managing content and supporting the in-country team in generating this
- To collect content for newsletters and ensure that these are produced regularly;
- To assist with the development and implementation of a Communications Strategy;
- To keep the WP website up to date
- To manage the ‘supporter journey’ programme and ensure donors are thanked;
- To support the Operations Director in his duties
- To perform any other duties deemed necessary to meet the needs of this organization
Person Spec – Essential:
- Educated to degree level or 3+ years directly relevant experience
- Excellent Excel skills
- Financial management experience, with a good understanding of management accounting and budget development
- Experience of procurement using an established and robust procurement policy
- Experience working with large projects / grants. Experience working with institutional donors e.g. DfID / USAID is a plus
- Experience of human resource management policies and procedures
- Experience working with a Wordpress website and an understanding of the theory behind successful online presence
- Experience managing or working with social media for an organisation
- Experience producing external communications and/or reports without supervision
- Experience managing a database and providing donor / customer care and stewardship
- Excellent people skills and the ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to self-motivate, prioritize, multitask and work autonomously within the scope of the role
- Ability to stay organized, good record keeping, excellent report writing and problem solving skills
- A commitment to the vision of the Welbodi Partnership. An interest in Public Health in the developing world is a plus
- Excellent computer skills
- Flexibility in roles and responsibility is essential
Person Spec – Desirable:
- Experience with fundraising and/or event planning
- Working knowledge of Salesforce and experience tailoring its use to achieve specific aims
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested candidates should apply via this website and include both a cover letter and up to date C.V.. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early applications are reccomended. Only those applicants shortlisted for an interview will be notified.
Equality and Diversity Statement
The Welbodi Partnership confirms its commitment to a comprehensive policy of Equal Opportunities in volunteering and employment in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities and are given Equal Opportunities within the organisation. It is the Welbodi Partnership’s policy as an employer to treat all people equally irrespective of race, ethnic origin, nationality, sex, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, creed, disability, age or political belief.
Applicants for this position should be aware that if successful, they will be requested to complete a Disclosure and Barring (DBS) check, or equivalent in countries other than the UK. The Welbodi Partnership complies fully with the DBS Code of Practice. The entirety of the Welbodi Equality and Diversity statement is available upon request.
The client is happy to conduct telephone interviews for overseas candidates.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.