Opportunity International is working to end global poverty by providing a hand up, not a hand out. We believe that enabling individuals to create dignified and sustainable work is the foundation for transforming their lives, their children’s futures and their communities
We are looking to recruit a Senior Resource Development Manager to to help drive our income by preparing high quality, winning bids for institutional donors, large trusts and foundations and corporates in the UK and Europe
It is expected that a UK based candidate will need to be present in the office in Oxford for at least 2 days per week. The rest of the time there is flexibility to work from home.
About Opportunity International
Opportunity International’s vision is of a world in which all people have the opportunity to achieve a life free from poverty, with hope, dignity and purpose. For 50 years, Opportunity International has empowered enterprising individuals and families living on low incomes to transform their lives, their children’s futures and their communities by providing access to financial services (small and micro loans, secure savings and micro-insurance), financial literacy, business training, life-skills and mentoring support, to enable them to increase their incomes and build sustainable livelihoods.
The post of Senior Resource Development Manager will work across Opportunity UK’s programmes and fundraising teams predominantly focusing on preparing high quality, winning bids for institutional donors, large trusts and foundations and corporates.
We are looking for someone with exceptional co-ordinating, researching, writing and editing skills, a high attention to detail and the ability to work in a team and well as independently, producing work of a consistently high standard. The successful candidate will be a strong, quick and confident writer with proven successful experience of preparing high quality, engaging proposals and reports.
You will be a highly motivated self-starter, and a completer-finisher, who takes pride in producing work of a high standard. You will have the ability to remain calm under pressure and will be able to organise yourself and others in order to meet tight deadlines. You will have background in international development, having worked with, or for, institutional donors, global trusts and foundations, and will have a good understanding of donor motivations and requirements. You will be critical for building Opportunity UK’s institutional funding portfolio and this is an opportunity for you to take ownership of and drive this programme.”
The Senior Resource Development Manager will:
- Support organisational strategy by developing relationships with existing and potential donors and funding agencies.
- Stay abreast of institutional funding opportunities and flag relevant calls for proposals.
- Research potential trusts, foundations and corporates, and build new income streams.
- Liaise with Opportunity’s wider support partner network (OI Germany, Switzerland, US, Canada, Australia) in sharing donor research and reports where relevant.
- Coordinate with Programme Managers, Global Teams (Agriculture, Education, Digital), and implementing partners, to identify and develop new projects, ensuring that they are aligned with country, partner and thematic strategies and Opportunity’s overall Theory of Change.
- Liaise with Programme Managers and in-country partners to undertake feasibility studies and/or market research to justify the intended intervention and ensure it can be sustainable.
- Coordinate activities to facilitate co-creation, including design workshops, focus group discussions and key informant interviews to gain stakeholder input into new areas of work.
- Gather and assimilate information quickly and accurately from a wide range of internal and external sources to build the evidence base for proposed interventions.
- Work closely across Opportunity UK’s Programmes, Fundraising & Finance teams to develop high quality funding proposals and robust reporting mechanisms.
- Provide detailed and strategic analysis of proposal-related information and ensure proposals are in line with donor guidelines and meet international standards.
- Lead the writing, editing, formatting, and proof-reading of concept notes, proposals and reports to institutional donors, trusts, foundations and corporations.
- Support Programme Team members in the preparation of budgets, log frames, risk frameworks, GANNT charts, organograms and other supporting documentation for proposal submissions.
- Provide technical writing support to other parts of the organisation, including writing and proofreading of narrative proposals and donor reports.
Essential knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five year’s relevant experience in the non-profit sector.
- Strong track record in leading the writing of winning proposals for institutional donors, trusts, foundations and/or corporates within the international development sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English.
- Proven understanding of the motivation and requirement of institutional donors.
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Understanding of international development issues in the context of Opportunity International’s operational delivery (e.g. financial inclusion, gender equality, smallholder agriculture, climate resilience, education, digital financial services) particularly within Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Financially literate in relation to business and financial services.
- Strong written communication skills with an ability to write professionally and succinctly.
- Ability to communicate complex information in a way that is relevant and compelling to different audiences.
- Ability to evaluate and synthesize relevant data or information quickly and accurately, and to work collaboratively with content area experts.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills working with colleagues, partner organisations, and funding agencies both in the UK and abroad.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with senior decision makers.
- Proven flexibility to handle changing priorities, manage multiple projects and to meet tight deadlines efficiently and without compromising quality.
- Confident with PowerPoint, with the creativity to shape presentations that are both engaging and persuasive.
- Ability to travel for project design and proposal development, if needed.
- Commitment to the Vision, Mission, Motivation & Values of the organisation.
- A proactive and organised approach to work, able to support multiple demands.
- Self-disciplined with the ability to work independently, often to tight deadlines
- Positive attitude to team work, with the ability to inspire, enthuse and motivate others.