We are looking for an experienced and dynamic individual to play a pivotal role in driving business growth and expanding our work delivering innovative solutions to some of the most complex health challenges around the world.
The Assistant Director of New Business and Partnerships oversees the processes through which Options develops new business. The post holder is responsible for coordinating the work of the New Business and Partnerships team in identifying, tracking and positioning for new opportunities, including overall management and prioritisation of Options’ new business pipeline. The post holder plays a key role in the work of Options, engaging both internally and externally to build appropriate partnerships and ensuring high quality teamwork produces proposals of winning quality. The post holder also plays an important role in development and implementation of Options’ strategy, particularly in relation to client diversification, as well as winning business in new markets.
You will monitor and oversee Options’ new business pipeline, ensuring a balance between long and short-term pre-positioning to increase profitability and reflect Options’ client, geographical and technical priorities. You will oversee identification, tracking and management of new opportunities, coordinating across teams on gathering of intelligence about future opportunities through in-house knowledge management, research, external engagement and international travel when appropriate. You will track performance of Options’ business development activities, reporting against progress at regular intervals during the year.
You will contribute to Options’ understanding of the market and landscape, including the funding priorities of current clients and potential investors. You will establish and nurture collaborative relationships with consultants, partners and international development organisations to build strong partnerships for collaboration on new business.
You will lead the development of technical and commercial proposals, liaising between teams to create well-crafted, winning concept notes and proposals. This will include leading team design and recruitment / sourcing of proposed candidates, oversight of preparation of budgets and commercial proposals and managing satisfactory negotiations with clients and partners for successful proposals.
You will support and cultivate a highly motivated business development team to ensure that business development deliverables are met to a high standard.
The postholder will be expected to work closely with other teams to promote continuous learning and knowledge sharing across Options, identifying opportunities for collaboration, sharing of resources, leveraging relationships, and developing staff knowledge and capacity.
The post is based in Options’ office in central London. Occasional international travel may be required.
- Education to degree level, or equivalent experience, in a related/relevant subject
- Substantial and proven experience of generating and managing a pipeline of new business opportunities in the international development sector and demonstrable knowledge of the changing sector and funding landscape
- Substantial experience of leading the proposal development process for governmental and other donors, including experience responding to competitive tenders, developing technical and commercial proposals
- Excellent project management skills, incl. ability to develop and analyse budgets, commercially aware, able to negotiate with stakeholders, etc.
- Clear thinking and effective decision-making; ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Strong record of line management and management of teams, including ability to set strategic direction and priorities of teams
- Excellent attention to detail, with ability to digest and act on complex information in a timely manner
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of landscape of partner / competitor organisations and individuals working in Options’ core areas of expertise
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Willingness to travel locally and internationally as required
- Relevant post-graduate qualification, preferably (but not essentially) in international health or development
- Experience in developing outreach and relationship-building strategies and implementing plans to achieve them.
- Experience managing or engaging in co-creation grant making design processes with foundations and/or social investors
- Knowledge about the international development strategies of key donors, particularly DFID
- Entrepreneurial spirit – good instincts, commercial nous and ability to identify creative solutions
Options Consultancy Services Limited is a leading global health consultancy established in 1992 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. We manage health programmes that ensure vulnerable women and children can access the high quality health services they need. We work with partners to co-create and implement locally informed solutions to complex health problems. This includes governments, development partners, NGOs, civil society and health workers. Our programming is flexible, evidence-based and politically informed. This means we adapt to changing contexts, use data to inform our decisions and ensure our approach is appropriate. Our focus is always on building local skills and systems that last.
Options offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous annual leave allowance, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme and a discretionary performance related bonus scheme.
- To apply, please visit our website.
- Closing date for applications is: 20 April 2020
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will be held week commencing 27th April 2020
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- Overseas candidates require a valid UK work permit
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.