The Oral History Society is looking for an Honorary Treasurer to take over responsibility for the financial affairs of the charity in succession to the current Treasurer who is retiring. The Society, which has approaching 1,000 members, is over fifty years old and is the leading organisation in its field in the UK, offering an array of advice services and training to those involved in interviewing older people about their memories and experiences.
Integral to the effective running of the Society is the position of Honorary Treasurer. The Society is in good financial health and has plans to expand activities through its 3-year strategic plan, and the Honorary Treasurer’s input into the charity’s financial strategy and planning will be crucial. Full support will be given to the new Treasurer who will be expected to attend the quarterly committee meetings of the Trustees, and half yearly meetings of the Finance & Membership Sub Committee. A part-time bookkeeper handles many of the Society’s day-to day financial matters and reports to the Honorary Treasurer.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience and knowledge of charitable organisations
- A reasonable knowledge of the financial affairs of a medium sized charity
- Experience of accountancy and/or book-keeping
- The ability to take responsibility for the charity’s finances
We can offer you:
- Training where necessary
- Support with financial planning and fundraising from the Finance & Membership Sub-Committee, the Officers and the other Trustees
- The opportunity to increase knowledge and skills in financial planning and management in the charity sector.
Please note that direct experience of or interest in oral history or similar historical discipline is desirable but not essential. If a candidate had some knowledge of fundraising, this would also be welcomed.
This is a voluntary position, although travel expenses are covered by the Society.
To apply for this position please send:
- a short statement indicating why you are interested in this role
- a current CV which also shows your knowledge and experience of the responsibilities covered by the accompanying role description.
- the contact details of two referees.
Send to: OHS Secretary, Rob Perks
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.