We are seeking enthusiastic and committed trustees to help shape our future and deliver our aims
Globally 1.1 billion people live with vision loss, including blindness, and over 90% of it is avoidable.
We screen for and treat eye conditions, raise awareness about eye health, and train and mentor local eye care teams in Africa, Asia and Latin America, where most of those people live.
In addition to our long-term country programmes, Orbis operates the Flying Eye Hospital, a state-of-the-art ophthalmic teaching hospital on board a customised aircraft.
Orbis UK which is an affiliate of Orbis International is seeking to appoint committed Trustees with financial or legal experience to participate on both the Board and Audit Committee.
We are building the Board of the future to ensure Orbis UK is representative, skilled and equipped to meet future challenges. With our commitment to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation, we actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Applications from people with substantial financial or legal experience at senior or executive level is being sought at this time. The role involves:
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees in giving strategic direction to Orbis UK, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance
- Ensure that Orbis UK complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure Orbis UK uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Ensure that Orbis UK conducts its activities within a clear moral context
- Safeguard the good name and values of Orbis UK
- Ensure the financial stability and effective and efficient administration of Orbis UK
- Oversee the management of Orbis UK’s assets ensuring the proper use of funds
- Appoint the Chief Executive and monitor his/her performance
- Preparing for and attending Board meetings and Audit Committee meetings
- Supporting the Orbis UK staff team
- Attending occasional evening events
Our Values and Commitment to Safeguarding
Orbis UK is committed to an environment free from sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse
and financial misconduct. Orbis UK expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact us
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.