We are Orthopaedic Research UK (ORUK), one of the very few medical research charities, investing our funds to encourage breakthrough research and education programmes in bone, joint and muscle wellbeing. Our aim is to reduce the burden of poor musculoskeletal (MSK) health on individuals, workplaces and our health system.
The need we serve is ever worsening: 19m people suffer from MSK problems in the UK, costing the NHS £5bn per year, resulting in ever-lengthening NHS waiting lists, and the loss of 30m working days to the UK economy.
We fund innovative research projects in the UK that expand knowledge, improve patient outcomes and pioneer new forms of MSK diagnosis and treatment. Our investment makes a real difference to the lives of millions of people suffering poor MSK health, today and into the future. Since 2004 we have invested £11m on research on 140 projects in the UK. Over the next three years we plan to invest a further £2.5 on research and attract £0.5m in partner contributions.
We support education, primarily through workshops, training courses, lectures, virtual conferences and webinars that will improve knowledge of MSK conditions. During the past year we staged 55 events and in total we educated 8,303 healthcare professionals with the support of 491 faculty members. On average, 98% of participants rated our events as ‘excellent’ or ‘good’ in terms of educational value.
Despite the tremendous burden placed on individuals and society, MSK health does not always receive the attention or investment that it merits. This is why, in addition to using our funds to fill the most important gaps in research funding and professional education, we work with partners, such as leading professional institutions, to attract additional investment to the sector.
By working together and sharing knowledge and ideas, we can become a stronger voice for MSK health.
Purpose of the role
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Communication and Marketing Manager to join our team to take ownership of engaging with our MSK community in order to drive the education, research, reach and profile of Orthopaedic Research UK’s activities. The role will focus on:
- Growing the market demand for our training courses and events for healthcare professionals working within MSK disciplines
- Inspiring researchers to innovate, translate, and disseminate results of their research works
- Engaging partners including Universities, industry, commercial organisations, Charities, donors, etc.
- Developing and growing the MSK community to achieve the vision of the charity
- Reporting our charitable activities and impact on society.
In this role you will manage a portfolio of communications and marketing activities that engage, inspire and inform the MSK community about our work. Through your understanding of these audiences and your innovative approach, you will manage, develop and deliver a range of communication channels to support the bespoke marketing and communication needs of research and education-facing teams in ORUK.
This is an exciting opportunity to make your mark within a small well-established charity that has ambitious growth plans and a ‘can do’ mentality. We are a small, vibrant and agile team that encourages creative and innovative thinking.
Due to COVID-19, the team is currently following a hybrid model of work although this is subject to regular review. This role will be required to work remotely 3-4 days a week. Most of our educational activities are still taking place online but we are now returning to some of our face-to-face programmes.
Reporting directly to CEO.
Communication and marketing planning
- Develop and deliver multi-channel communications and marketing plans. This will include you working with teams across the charity to ensure an integrated approach.
- Create high-quality, engaging content and graphic designs suitable for a range of channels, including email, digital, social and print. Ensure all activity is on brand and uses appropriate language for a research audience.
- Prepare press releases, e-newsletters, web content and articles; sourcing, writing and editing ideas and stories.
- Design and delivery of Orthopaedic Research UK’s online presence for the MSK community, working with teams to develop and maintain content e.g., web pages, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
- Maximise brand attribution of our investments in research and education and promote Orthopaedic Research UK’s brand within the MSK community.
- Create and deliver a marketing plan for our programme of online and face to face educational events.
- Design, create and deliver all marketing email campaigns via the CRM system and social media.
- Proactively keep marketing lists up-to-date and research new target audiences and create data lists for these on the CRM system
- Manage the ORUK website and CRM system
- Manage all social media accounts and post scheduling
- Maintain and manage all events data lists and update twice a year
- Manage marketing deliverables for sponsors as directed with the events team
- Manage any contra deals with marketing partners for events
- Manage relationships and deliverables with societies and submit relevant events into their newsletters
- Manage relationships with the Training Program Directors at NHS Trusts and hospitals across the UK and keep posted with relevant ORUK events
- Maintain a coherent marketing plan and annual budget through regular liaison with the CFO
- Provide regular communication and marketing reports to the Head of Education and Events
Manage relationships with internal stakeholders, external stakeholders and journalists to ensure the successful delivery of communications for our audiences. Gain and maintain buy-in through timely updates and ongoing communication.
- Develop relationships with the MSK community and partners to shape communications and channels.
Insight, evaluation and data management
- Develop an ongoing understanding of the communication needs of the MSK Community to ensure communications and marketing plans are tailored appropriately
- Evaluate communications and marketing activity using a range of analytics tools, providing regular updates and recommending action to maximise impact
- Support audience insight work (e.g. user research, usability testing, surveys, digital experiments) to inform communications development and positioning
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and technologies in marketing and communication and bring new ideas into the team for testing and development
- Manage audience data and journeys
- Maintain distribution lists for communications mailings, managing additions and updates and checking data accuracy.
- Evaluate and report our impact every quarter and annually.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Key technical skills, knowledge and behaviour
- Passion to keep up to date with the latest findings in the musculoskeletal field
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written and confidence engaging with stakeholders is essential
- Excellent proof-reading skills and attention to detail
- Relevant experience in delivering communications strategies and marketing campaigns through multiple channels with accountability for managing budgets and reporting
- Ability to produce relevant, engaging and inspiring copy and content
- Demonstrable passion for online media and monitoring media coverage
- Experience of using CRM, email platforms and templates to create campaigns – including behaviourally triggered emails
- Experience of commissioning external agencies and freelancers, from writing briefs to overseeing the delivery of high-quality creative work, on time and in budget.
- Demonstrable experience of using and reporting on web and social media analytics (direct experience with Google Analytics)
- Be able to cope with pressure and tight deadlines
- Organised with good time management skills
- Friendly, positive, flexible and adaptable team player
Educated to a degree level or equivalent industry experience
- Experience working within a scientific/research-focused organisation (e.g. agency, funder, publisher, professional body, pharmaceutical industry)
- Certification from a professional marketing body
- Proficient in production of graphics and video content, use of image, video and audio editing software.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent planning, organisational and project management skills.
- 8% annual bonus based on performance (discretionary)
- Annual cost of living review
- Flexible working hours in core business hours (8am – 6pm)
- TOIL for overtime during weekdays and weekends
- Pension 8% (employers’ contribution 7.5% + 0.5% employees’ contribution)
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing by 1 day per year after 5 years up to a maximum of 30 days
- Enhanced maternity/paternity package
- Interest-free travel loan
- Access to Employee Assistance Programme
- Private Medical Health Insurance (and reduced family rates)
- Bike to work scheme
- Death in service (x4 basic salary)
- Opportunity to grow within the organisation
If you wish to have an informal discussion about the role or the application process, please contact Miss Debbie Palmer, Executive Officer.
To apply for this role, please provide your CV and covering letter.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.