About this service
Adopting a “whole family” approach”, this comprehensive service will deliver an end to end integrated rehabilitation and resettlement support programme to prisoners from HMP Brixton and their children and families from first night in custody to six months following release from prison.
Purpose of this role
Working closely with the prison and other agencies, the service will be fully integrated into sentence and release planning. The service will be delivered both in custody and in the community with the prisoner and their family through intensive personal support and befriending, visit services, groupwork, and targeted children’s services. Prisoners with either little or no family links will be offered support to ether re-establish contact (where appropriate) or other forms of social support.
Time commitment & location
We are looking for volunteers that are able to work at least 1 day per week.
The role will be located between HMP Brixton and in the community.
Because of the training and induction requirements, and value of this role, Pact hopes you will commit to volunteering with us for at least 6 months.
What you will be doing
- At HMP Brixton, incorporating face-to-face and telephone support at the prison’s visitor centre and in the community (in public places and service user homes) to prisoners and their families.
- Alongside colleagues, implement the service as per project targets.
- Work with the Family Services team to support the maintenance of service users
- To promote the service, and create and maintain effective relationships with Pact colleagues and prison and community agencies to ensure smooth referral routes, facilitate appropriate signposting and minimise overlap of work.
- Offer support in identifying and achieving goals and aspirations of families we work with.
- Record, scale and evaluate contact sheets in order to drive continuous improvement, including learning from service user feedback, as well as feedback from partner agencies such as the prison and CRC.
The type of person we are looking for:
Working on own initiative and coherently as part of a team
Experience and knowledge of safeguarding, and health and safety implications, such as lone working
Demonstrable awareness of the impact of custody on prisoners, and on children and families.
Skills / Abilities
Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to respect confidentiality
Organised and able to use initiative
Ability to work alone or in a team
To understand the innovative nature of the service and how to contribute to the learning and development of the service
Non-judgemental, empathetic attitude towards prisoners and their families
Honesty and reliability
Warm and friendly approach to working with people
Be able to treat all staff, prisoners and their families with respect, dignity and courtesy
What we offer
Training for this role is likely to include face to face role specific training as well as Safeguarding and Professional Boundaries. You will also be expected to complete numerous e-learning training modules which will be available to you.
Travel costs, via public transport or private car (mileage) will be reimbursed including travel to attend training. Subsistence, i.e. lunch may also be reimbursed, according to our expenses policy.
This role is subject to:
- 2 references
- DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Security Vetting by Her Majesty’s Prison Service.
Please be aware that these necessary checks can take a number of weeks to process.
Support and Supervision
We will provide a full induction and regular supervision to support you throughout your time in the role. You will report to the befriending coordinator who will be your main point of contact. Pact offer other forms of support such as Care First which is a 24-hour confidential helpline which will be available to you.
Benefits to you
- Developing experience and knowledge of the prison environment
- Developing listening skills
- Opportunity to develop relationship building skills
- Ongoing training opportunities
- Subject to satisfactory volunteering with Pact (6 months), we will be happy to provide references in support of applications for employment.