My client is seeking an experienced Accountant to join them on a 12 month fixed-term contract, based in Amersham. My client is seeking an available candidate with experience working within local government and be able to commute to their offices.
The client is a local government organisation who are a small team seeking a Senior Accountant (Revenue) to come in for a fixed-term contract period of 12 months.
To report to the Head of Finance and Accountancy Manager on a regular basis outlining the progress in achieving the agreed programme of work, and the progress with delivering further improvements.
To help manage the staff in the Revenue Accounting Team in order to ensure that it meets statutory obligations and internal performance targets::
i. to ensure that each Member of the Team has defined responsibilities and a clear chain of line management;
ii. to ensure that each member of the Team works efficiently and effectively in dealing with the work allocated to them and the targets and objectives set for them.
iii. to regularly monitor and review the performance of individual members of staff and consider requirements for training, including the selection of individuals for relevant courses/seminars etc and the taking of action as necessary.
iv. to keep the systems of work operating in the Revenue Accounting Team under review and to introduce improvements as necessary, thus ensuring that they are robust and fit for purpose and reach the required quality standards.
- Personal Responsibilities
- Interpret figures and information from spending departments and take a central role in preparing the overall Council's annual budget estimates (including co-ordinating the proposed fees & charges) in accordance with approved policy decisions and timetables. The CDC annual gross expenditure budget is approximately £36m, and the SBDC annual gross expenditure budget is approximately £29m.
- Assist with consolidating the Council's annual budget estimates to enable Members to set the Council Tax.
- Maintain a system of budgetary control for both CDC and SBDC and ensure this complies with best practice and ensures public accountability. This will include co-ordinating the production of the regular monitoring reports to Management / Members.
- Ensure proactive management accountancy support to service managers and directors in order that they can effectively carry out their budget monitoring responsibilities.
- To be responsible for preparing the Final Accounts closedown timetable for both Councils, and to control and monitor the closedown process.
- To take a central role in preparing the Council's Statutory Accounts in accordance with the latest guidelines.
- Manage the audit and inspection of the Council's statutory Accounts and ensure that the information to support them is prepared to the satisfaction of the external auditors.
- To prepare various grant claims, statistical and statutory returns, financial analysis and performance indicators as required. Including the LGQRE, RO, RA, WGA, Council Tax Requirement and CIPFA Tax Survey returns.
SUPPORT RECHARGES / COLLECTION FUND ACCOUNTING
- Lead on the calculation of support recharges, liaising with service managers to obtain accurate allocations.
- Lead on collection fund accounting issues, including but not limited to:
- Obtaining precept information from parishes and major preceptors
- Estimating collection fund surplus / deficit figures
- Year-end collection fund accounting.
The successful candidate will have experience working in the local government and be able to commute to the clients offices in Amersham. The candidate will have experience of most of the duties within the job description and have experience within a small team setting.
On offer to the successful candidate is a 12 month Fixed-term contract paying a salary ranging from £42,000 - £45,000.