Reach Volunteering are working with Papworth Trust, a leading disability charity, who are seeking for a Trustee with a lived disability to join their passionate and committed board of trustees.
Papworth Trust’s vision is for a world where disabled people are seen for who they are, and our mission is for disabled people to have equality, choice and independence. Their work includes providing a range of high quality services for disabled and disadvantaged people and campaigning for changes that disabled people want. They support thousands of people, their families and carers every year, and we work with disabled people to create a world where we can all be seen for what we can do.
The role of Trustee is such a valuable support to our charity and anyone joining our team has an opportunity to make such a difference to those individuals who live with a disability.
We are at an exciting juncture where we have agreed our new strategy, mission, vision and values, deployed our organisational plan and engaged our highly motivated teams.
This is an opportunity to use your knowledge and expertise, and work with us to strengthen our foundations and enable us growth and support so many more individuals and communities.
We work with passion, purpose and direction and for those who are seeking to expand on their experience or to simply share their expertise and knowledge in to a great cause, working as a team, together we will make a positive difference to the lives of disabled people.
We are looking for an individual with a lived disability who has the following:
Knowledge and experience
Specific expertise and professional experience and background in any of the following areas is essential:
- Social housing
- Disability rights
Specific expertise in the following is desirable:
- Knowledge of the charitable sector
- Experience at Board level, ideally with experience gained as Trustee or Non-Executive Director in a similarly complex service orientated or influential organisation
- Strong understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- Understanding of risk management at Board level.
- Understands the key responsibilities of or has experience in a remuneration committee
- Has personal experience of or an interest in disability and awareness of the key policy issues in the sector, particularly as they may impact on the economics and finances of providing services
Skills and abilities
- Able to distil complex information and bring a pragmatic approach to its application
- Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to galvanise external relationships and build support for Papworth Trust
- Strong ambassadorial and influencing skills – inspires trust and confidence quickly
Personal style and behaviour
- Independent, strategic and creative thinker
- Driven and self-managing with sharp commercial acumen
- Collaborative team player
- Sound judgement and political sense
- Committed to the values of Papworth Trust; leads by example in upholding its values and demonstrates the utmost integrity.
The Board meets every two months and one AGM. The Trustee may be involved in one of the sub-committees.
How to Apply
Applications should be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. Please submit your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, what skills and experience you will bring to the board, directly addressing the person specification, and any other relevant information.