We are looking to recruit a Parish Finance Officer on an 18-month contract to join us as soon as possible following a recent review of our structure and operations. The person taking up this role will have an opportunity to make a real impact on the Parish’s financial management which supports our mission and purpose and as we look beyond the impact of COVID-19 and the lockdowns of 2020.
The Parish of Wimbledon comprises the 4 churches of St Mary’s, St John’s, St Matthew’s and St Mark’s located in Wimbledon Village, Wimbledon Town and West Wimbledon. Working collaboratively across the Parish in the traditions of the Church of England, each church has its own distinct worship and community. The Parish supports six team clergy, maintenance and operation of its churches, church halls, clergy housing and other property. The Parish Office is located at St Mary’s on the edge of Wimbledon Village and a short walk away from the All England Tennis Club.
Job Title: Parish Finance Officer
Reports to: Team Rector (line manager) and Hon. Parish Treasurer
- Parish accounting: maintain book-keeping from daily bank load, prepare and manage any additional journals and intercompany transactions etc. ensuring documentary support maintained in QuickBooks.
- Act as administrator for QuickBooks, Dext, HMRC and any bank platforms.
- Payments authorisation with other team members.
- Support Parish Operations Manager to record occasional offices income, ensuring consistent accounting for credit notes, deposits and cash allocation; monitor aged debtors.
- Support churches with billing and coding structures.
- Prepare half yearly (or quarterly) and annual consolidated management accounts. This is currently managed in Excel: there are 6 sets of books to consolidate.
- Manage the Parish’s cash and monitor consolidated cash position and forecasts, as needed.
- Balance sheet accounts review, reconciliation and book-keeping correction as needed.
- Lead payroll process. Current process uses external agency, requires preparing monthly payroll journals and church/Parish Office liaison.
- Manage intercompany agreement process.
- Manage expense approval and reimbursement processes.
- Ensure compliance with any external regulatory requirements and internal financial policies and procedures.
- Liaise with external agencies such as HMRC, banks, auditors, Diocese, payroll provider, surveyor etc.
- Manage annual budget process (Q3/4); prepare Parish budget and consolidate church and property budgets; manage data to be able to provide comparative reporting against actuals; present consolidated budget for agreement at PCC (next: 1 Dec 2021).
- Annual cost allocation analysis and church-Parish journal preparation.
- At year-end (31 Dec), prepare consolidation for both management accounting and statutory accounting purposes, including disclosure notes.
- Support church treasurers to provide annual church trial balances with lead schedules and other disclosures ready for audit.
- Liaise with auditors to timetable and execute a smooth year-end audit. This includes timely collation and submission of all requested schedules as well as preparing the consolidation with supporting schedules.
- Post adjustments, reconcile ledgers and close in agreement with audited results.
- Ensure audited accounts are ready for approval for signing at PCC (next: 26 April 2022) and ready for general presentation at annual parochial meeting (APCM) (next: 25 May 2022).
- Prepare annual financial returns e.g. to Diocese.
- Contribute to risk register.
- Contribute to reserves and investments policies and practical management.
- Attend regular team meetings including PCC as needed, including paper or schedule preparation.
- Occasionally assist in the delivery of public events or other duties, when reasonably required.
Working collaboratively with key colleagues in the Parish team:
- Develop and maintain treasurers’ manual, standard finance processes and standing files.
- Review and make recommendations as regards use and structures of charts of accounts, alternative charity accounting software and current use of Excel to consolidate Parish results.
- Update processes including those for revenue recognition, hall bookings and funds accounting.
- Automate and standardise workflow of certain processes such as payroll, payments, gift aid etc.
- Banking arrangements review.
- Devise process for monitoring related party transactions.
- Manage additional accounting and cash and processes needed to support changes in property portfolio.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.