The Financial Accountant role is a newly created position and will be a key member of the Pennies team. The role will support the Finance Director, taking direct responsibility for all aspects of the day-to-day running of the finance function including financial reporting and accounting, MI, financial controls, and credit control. The Finance Officer, who deals with day to day financial processes, will report into this role.
It is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to get involved in all aspects of this dynamic, fast growth organisation, and to develop and broaden their skill base, contribution and career as operations move to scale.
Duties and accountabilities
· Preparation of annual, monthly and periodic budgets, forecasts, and cashflow statements
· Prepare monthly accounts
· Supervision of Finance Officer
· Processing gift aid claims
· Preparation of annual statutory accounts in accordance with current accounting standards
· Preparation and submission of annual returns to HMRC, Companies House and the Charity Commission or its equivalent in Rep of Ire, and the Isle of Man
· Liaison with auditors, trustees, and advisory board members
· Preparation of reports for various board meetings
· Maintenance of operational documentation
· Develop and maintain management information and financial dashboard reporting
· Develop functionality and reporting capability of finance system (Sage Intacct)
· Investigate operational issues and discrepancies working closely with the Systems Manager
· Act as the primary finance contact with Pennies’ Partners
· Cash management and treasury duties.
· Ensure that appropriate systems and internal controls are maintained.
· Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
· Manage payroll processing
Wider team support
· Provide support for the wider team where necessary, working cross-functionally to help deliver our objectives.
Experience and skills
· A formal accounting qualification (ACCA/CIMA/ACA) with experience of the operational skills needed to fulfil the duties and accountabilities of the role
· Well versed in charity accounting
· Strong IT skills including experienced in the use of Microsoft Office suite, in particular Excel
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Good people skills
· Well organised, logical and detail focused
· A willingness to work flexibly when required
· Good organisational skills and will be able to develop and document business processes and accounting policies.
· Experience with Sage accounting software, ideally Sage Intacct
· Experience within the charity sector.
· Knowledge of the payment or retail sector.
You should be:
· Able to demonstrate a curious, analytical and ambitious mindset, whilst being fiercely collaborative and culturally sensitive;
· Confident, a self-starter with the ability to operate in a dynamic environment;
· Able to demonstrate good attention to detail, good judgment, logical decision making and a hands on approach;
· Computer literate with good excel skills, a solid understanding of accounting software principles and able to work on modern ERP & IT systems;
· Up to date on accounting regulations;
· Hands on delivery focussed with limited resources.
· A good team player with a strong work ethic
· Have excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels; and
· Have the ability to work effectively and with minimum supervision in a fast-paced professional environment with multiple tasks and deadlines.
What we offer
· £50,000-£55,000 (dependent on experience).
· 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays.
· Work for an established, award-winning charity, using tech for social good.
· Become part of the ‘Pennies family’, a small team championing a simple idea with huge potential.
- Flexible work options available - supportive of family and personal commitments
· Hybrid working – home and office, based in the City of London.
· Regular team off-site days and social activities.
· Personal and professional development opportunities.
Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.