Vacancy: Business Partner Accountant
- Business Partner Accountant
- Deadline: we reserve right to close recruitment asap
- £28,000 – 30,000
- Full time
- Wakefield, West Yorkshire, with flexible working policy in place
- Directorate: Finance
Penny Appeal was set up in 2009 to provide poverty relief across Asia, the Middle East and Africa by offering water solutions, organising mass feedings, supporting orphan care, and providing emergency aid. We’ve come a long way since then and have grown tremendously in the past 11 years!
We’ve transformed lives and empowered communities, helping to break the poverty cycle and build brighter futures. Over the past few years, our work has expanded and our teams have grown considerably, allowing us to launch new campaigns and work in even more crisis-hit countries. As well as strengthening communities in over 30 countries around the world, we also make it a point to support vulnerable people here in the UK, too.
Each of our projects are carefully designed to be accessible and effective. They are a wonderful blend of emergency support, short-term relief, and longer-term sustainable solutions. Our way of approaching relief means that we can save lives immediately, improve situations in the coming days and transform communities for years to come.
At Penny Appeal, people are at the heart of everything we do. Every one of our projects are tailor-made to meet the needs of those we support and benefit as many people in need as possible, in ways that cost our generous donors just a little bit of loose change each day.
Transform small change into a big difference for those who need us most
Inspired by the universal values of the Islamic faith, Penny Appeal’s mission is to serve all those in need at home and abroad
Within 5 years -
- Best in class Muslim Charity
- Sunday Times top 100 businesses to work for
- Most recognizable Muslim charity in the world
- Raise over £100 million per annum for good
- We are a British Muslim led charity
- Our HQ is in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We have approximately 160 staff based in the UK, with many more across the world
- UK staff have been working from home for last 18 months, but we are instigating a move back a brand new office in early 2022, coupled with a new flexible working policy
About the role
We have big ambitions and are looking for a talented Business Partner Accountant to help us achieve them. Someone who isn’t afraid of hard work, who shares our values and who wants to be part of something extraordinary. Someone who can provide a dedicated business partner service to the Charity’s Programmes and Fundraising teams, specifically focussing on detailed matching, monitoring and analysis of all spend to charitable programmes by appeal, country or type.
- Provide a solid link between the Finance and Programmes departments, ensuring accurate and timely tracking of all spend.
- Working closely with the Programmes team to complete detailed spend monitoring and analysis.
- Working with the Allocations and Programmes teams to ensure tracking of sponsorship and restricted donations.
- Review all required Programmes Spend against planned budget
- Raising purchase requests for required Programme spend and ensuring appropriate approvals in place.
- Liaising with the Programmes department for feedback on any spend variances and reporting appropriately.
- Monthly analysis on budgeted spend in comparison to cashflow and providing a monthly report to the Director of Programmes and executive management.
- Prepare summary reporting of Programmes spend for executive management and the Board.
- Any other required accounting tasks required to ensure robust financial controls around Programmes payments.
- Assist in the analysis of costings and payback for all fundraising activities.
- To review and process invoices and payments against clearly approved plans from the fundraising departments.
- To research, collate information and produce detailed business cases with relevant information and analysis for any major undertaking requiring a financial investment or commitment for approval by the CEO and /or Board of Trustees.
Please note: the duties and responsibilities outlined above are not exhaustive, nor are they shown in the order of priority or frequency. You may, from time to time, be required to work evenings, Saturdays or on a Sunday.
For us, it’s not just what we do, it’s how we do it. Our values are important to us and we’re looking for people who will live and breathe them.
- Part qualified accountant (ACCA/CIMA)
- Demonstratable experience of planning, preparing and presenting financial information to the highest standard and accuracy
- Demonstratable experience of administration and coordination
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong emphasis on business communication
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with individuals at all levels both internally and externally, with diplomacy and professionalism
- Excellent organisational, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to be flexible and able to work under tight deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct research and present data in a succinct and well-written manner
- To uphold and behave in accordance with the organisation’s core values
- A professional and flexible approach to work
- Commitment to promoting equality and diversity in what we do
- A positive attitude with a strong desire to see the organisation succeed
- Knowledge of Third Sector and statutory sector
- Knowledge of Islamic financial matters (Zakat, Wakf, Qurbani etc.)
- International development, and/or writing for an organisation which fundraisers
Safeguarding: We are an organisation that takes safeguarding very seriously. All staff will be expected to adhere to our policies, processes, and approach.
Applying: Please send a statement (of no more than 2 sides of A4, font size 11) clearly outlining how you match our requirements, as well as a two-page CV outlining your professional, volunteering experience, education/qualifications and any other relevant information . Please state the job title in the email title.
Deadline: We are running a rolling a recruitment, so reserve the right to close the post at any point. Please don’t delay in getting your application in to us!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.